Diving the long hose on a REC rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
Is this really valid? Once it's routed, how do you get tangled in it? My long hose actually makes me LESS of an entanglement risk, as I don't have that annoying "loop" caused by the standard 36' hose above/behind my right head anymore. I've caught that loop on submerged tree trunks before, which is one of the reasons I switched to a 6-footer.

One way to get tangled is to route the long hose and then hang the bungied back up reg, another way is to let the bc inflater hose interfear with the long hose.

If a diver doesn't know how to rig the long hose, I find it very valid to advise against it. And that goes double for new divers. That's why I ask him to fill out the diver profile.

novadiver:
One way to get tangled is to route the long hose and then hang the bungied back up reg, another way is to let the bc inflater hose interfear with the long hose.

If a diver doesn't know how to rig the long hose, I find it very valid to advise against it. And that goes double for new divers. That's why I ask him to fill out the diver profile.

Nova, you ARE still alive. If you route the long hose first, then slip the bungied second over your head, at worst, you will have to tug a little more to deploy the long hose. Not like it is trapped under the bungie. Hmmm, BC inflator hose...just seems to want to reach out and grab that long hose as it goes past and not let you deploy, does it? What, are you fixing zip ties to them to tie them together? Putting it under the harness? This is not rocket science Nova, if the person can use and deploy a recreational setup, deploying a five or seven foot hose is pretty easy. :wink:

I expect that if this was so difficult to learn PADI would already have a special 'Configuring a Long Hose' cert!:eyebrow:

KimLeece:
I expect that if this was so difficult to learn PADI would already have a special 'Configuring a Long Hose' cert!:eyebrow:

Now that was funny!!!

And to the other posts, if you do an s-drill prior to your dive then there is no chance that you will have it entangled in the back up.

Wendy, no offense, but S drill is a DUE/dir term. In regular scuba it's called OOA or Out Of Air. The originator of the thread is not DIR or GUE, so can we keep it in the the context of the training the originator has had?

Wendy:
Now that was funny!!!

And to the other posts, if you do an s-drill prior to your dive then there is no chance that you will have it entangled in the back up.

Quarrior:
Wendy, no offense, but S drill is a DUE/dir term. In regular scuba it's called OOA or Out Of Air. The originator of the thread is not DIR or GUE, so can we keep it in the the context of the training the originator has had?

Actually I am a little offended. I don't beleive that it is just limited to GUE or being DIR as I have taken non GUE classes and it was referred to in the same way. And also you know what I was taking about and I am sure others did as well, so I see no problem in using it. Like how some poeple call lights, torches, your gear is your rig, etc. Its just a different name for something, its not an agency thing in my eyes and I did not intend it to be.

I'm sorry I'll rephrase. If you do an OOA drill prior to your dive then you should solve an entanglement or improper routing of the long hose at that time.

Better?

Quarrior:
Wrong, an S ( for Safety) drill is not DIR/GUE specific. Every tech instructor I have been with, TDI, NACD, NSS-CDS, IANTD called it the same thing.

Your advice to do the drill before diving is excellent and something I practice on all dives. I always ensure I can deploy my hose with no entanglements.

Wendy:
Actually I am a little offended. I don't beleive that it is just limited to GUE or being DIR as I have taken non GUE classes and it was referred to in the same way. And also you know what I was taking about and I am sure others did as well, so I see no problem in using it. Like how some poeple call lights, torches, your gear is your rig, etc. Its just a different name for something, its not an agency thing in my eyes and I did not intend it to be.

I'm sorry I'll rephrase. If you do an OOA drill prior to your dive then you should solve an entanglement or improper routing of the long hose at that time.

Better?

Wendy:

Of course it's not better. You need to just supress and dodge questions rather than educating!

:wink:

Spectre:
Of course it's not better. You need to just supress and dodge questions rather than educating!

:wink:

I just can't help it. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom