Diving the long hose on a REC rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[edited to remove quote of deleted personal attacks - JG]

I dive a long hose in OW when I'm diving doubles + wing (which is on pretty much every dive atm).

When I go to the red sea at the end of the month, I'm taking my poodle jacket BC (shock, horror!) and an octopus length hose on my primary (heretic! heretic!). I'm also going to rely on my computer to calculate my n2 loading (He's gonna DIE!).

I'm just as comfortable in both rigs - actually more comfortable in the poodle jacket since I wont be wearing a drysuit, 12L twinset, 7L stage, 5mm gloves & 5mm hood.

The original poster asked a straightforward question and people are just trying to give him an answer to it - without judging first wether he deserves one or not. That's what this board is all about. Why are you getting so offensive?
From reading some of your other stuff I know you don't like DIR and think that their attitude sucks sometimes - but even if you would be right about that what kind of attitude are you representing here as an alternative?
There's nothing wrong with teaching new divers to use a long hose - nothing at all. Actually I'm not convinced the original poster is a totally new diver. Until I lived in Japan I also didn't dive locally to where I lived and had to go on vacations to dive. I made over 100 dives like that. Who's to say this guy didn't make even more? You seem to be jumping to some huge conclusions here.

h2oyak:
The deeper water and deeper wrecks fascinate me and thus I want my diving to start moving deeper and want to begin taking Tech courses (TDI is the only option in Colorado I do not have a GUE instructor any where close). I like the idea of the long primary (7'/5') and the short secondary on the "necklace".
My question is this:
Being so land locked most of my diving is on vacation and thus much of it is on rental tanks. I would be suprised if many places offer H valves. I would like to convert my normal rig (single first stage on a yoke) to the long hose set up to get used to it (as well as my dive partner/girlfriend) ? Is there a down side to doing this ? Do you switch your regs back and forth from single 1st stages for non-technical vacations to independant valves (H or manifold) or do you ultimately wind up with your travel rig and a Tec rig ?
Thank you for all your experience.
Michael

Hi Michael,
Rigging your regs so they are streamlined and do not trail behind you in the mud, silt, or coral reef will always help make your diving safer, easier, and more enjoyable. Converting your rig to a long hose primary and necklaced backup does much for streamlining and is a good first step towards being able to comfortably handle an airshare. Of course, the air share technique should be learned and practiced often to become proficient. That is one of the reasons we make it part of our pre-dive routine. S-drills have been a staple skill in the cave & tech community for as long as I can remember....even before GUE was founded. As a matter of fact, most all of what we teach in the GUE classes are just common sense techniques, configuration, and mindset that has been around and in use by most of the world's top divers. All JJ (et al.) did was to bring it together into a system that promotes a uniform equipment configuration, training system, technique, and mindset so that all players on the team are on the same page for the dive. This serves to help increase the enjoyment of the diving because it removes incompetence and confusion from the team. As in any endeavor that one desires to be proficient at, training and dediciation (work and time) are required to achieve a level of competency that will give the diver confidence and thereby increase their comfort level while diving. GUE sets the bar very high, points the diver in the direction of how to train to reach that "bar", and does not pass the diver until they reach that level. This philosophy apllies to all aspects of training to include use of the long hose and necklace...meaning, sure go ahead and switch over, but learn how to correctly use that configuration. Just switching over to the gear does nothing if one is not proficient at using it for an emergency. I don't believe it's too hard to imagine actually complicating an air share if one was competent w/an octo rig and switched to the long hose w/o becoming proficient at it's proper use and deployment.
That being said, the learning curve for it's proper use is short and there are enough on-line sources to gain a good beginning for educating one's self on how to do this. There are videos on the GUE website as well as on Andrew Georgitsis's 5thd-x website (www.5thd-x.com ) that show how to deploy the long hose in an airshare. This can get one started, but ideally you should seek proper training.
In regard to switching the reg setups between twins and singles, personally, I use a dedicated set of regs for twins and a set for single tank setup, but this is as a result of getting weary of switching out hoses when I went from singles to twins, whereas I would teach open water one day, then jump in for a dive w/twins the next. It does simplify life greatly by having dedicated setups. But a lot of that is dictated by the availability of funds for this stuff.
I am not a big fan of y or h valve setups. My thought is if you need redundancy in the regs due to depth, then certainly we need the gas as well...otherwise my teammates are my reg (and gas) redundancy in the range of diving that can be done w/single tanks so the y/h valves only serve to complicate those dives needlessly. This is my personal opinion of them and I know there are many who like them and would present a differing view. Ultimately, this (like the rest of diving) is your own choice.
As far as inability to rec've training in your neck of the woods, there are several of us that will travel to your locale to teach. Mike Kane and I do it quite often, as well as a few other instructors (Andrew G., Tyler Moon & Dave Sweetin, just to name a few--there are others as well). So the training is available if you desire it. Another avenue that may help you is to hook up w/divers in your area that are GUE trained and they are usually very happy to help out those sincerely interested in improving thier diving. This may help get you started.
If other questions arise, feel free to pm me at your leisure. I am always happy to help where I can.
Does this answer your questions?

dive safe!--brando

KimLeece:
The original poster asked a straightforward question and people are just trying to give him an answer to it - without judging first wether he deserves one or not. That's what this board is all about. Why are you getting so offensive?
From reading some of your other stuff I know you don't like DIR and think that their attitude sucks sometimes - but even if you would be right about that what kind of attitude are you representing here as an alternative?
There's nothing wrong with teaching new divers to use a long hose - nothing at all. Actually I'm not convinced the original poster is a totally new diver. Until I lived in Japan I also didn't dive locally to where I lived and had to go on vacations to dive. I made over 100 dives like that. Who's to say this guy didn't make even more? You seem to be jumping to some huge conclusions here.

Just to help here. I dive a very DIR rig, my attitude comes from elitest divers with one ow cert teaching newbie divers how to be elitest divers. Personally, I'm a mud slider. that means I can swim one foot of the bottom of any cruddy enviroment and not raise a single peice of silt. they don't teach skills like that and they should a the very begining of a divers training

H20yak,
The best to you and your diving career. It sounds to me as if you've set your priorities in a good and proper sequence and that you will have a safe diving life.

h2oyak:
The deeper water and deeper wrecks fascinate me and thus I want my diving to start moving deeper and want to begin taking Tech courses (TDI is the only option in Colorado I do not have a GUE instructor any where close). I like the idea of the long primary (7'/5') and the short secondary on the "necklace".

Michael,

I live in Denver. Flatirons Scuba in Broomfield has a tech/cave diver on staff. Rob Calkins is currently working on his GUE Instructor something or other.

I can't help you on your other questions, I'm just a rookie, but I thought I'd throw that info out there. They sell Halcyon on site, and the shop is very DIR friendly, though not technically a DIR shop.

Also, Flatirons is sponsoring a DIR Fundamentals course in late September if that's your interest.

www.flatironsscuba.com

Hope that helps.

h2oyak:
Thanks to all for the info, I did not mean to start a war on diving semantics. I actually thought about flying down to Flordia and making a vacation out of the training then heading down to the Keys afterward. Regardless of the courses I chose I will always respect the level of training and thought that goes into GUE instruction.
I think that I will make the conversion, now I just need to fit the hose length to see what feels best. Thanks again.
Now I will go fill out my diver profile so I get permission to talk on the advanced forums...:wink: Just kidding
*ducks flying reg*
Dive safe.

Nice to have you on the board. Sorry you introduction got heated and I am glad we didn't scare you away.

If you are interested in GUE training you should check out the DIR forum on this board and also do a search in there for the proper lengths of hoses if you intend on doing training thru them. Also the DIR-F class is a pre-requiste to their training. But even if you don't go that route for training that class is excellent.

Again sorry we hijacked your thread. And welcome. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and you don't want a heated debate about it. :wink:

H2oyak,
My diving profile is limited to recreational, archaeological and some wreck diving. I am not DIR certified.

I've embraced the BP/Wing, long hose and bungied AAS because of the information I've gleaned from those on this board who employ the DIR philosophy and gear configuration. I've taken my course based on the logical arguments that they present when they have to defend, unfortunately, their style of diving to others.

I've found that in taking this course of action, I've reduced the weight required for a dive by about 10 pounds. I've also found that I'm much more streamlined in this configuration. I have taken, what I think the DIR divers would consider, "certain liberties" with my configuration such as running both the primary and AAS l/p hoses underneath my right arm and incorporating swivels on both regulators.

I find this configuration to be comfortable, streamlined and efficient.

Keep us posted on your progress in your diving.

Who knew that my first post to this board would start such a sesssion. To all of those that took the time both to answer my question as well as point out my right to ask, thanks (Kracken, Wendy,KimLeece...). The intelligence and experience behind your answers are why I asked to begin with. I am a teacher by trade and used to work back country high angle search and rescue. Consequently I appreciate both knowledge and the cost of ignorance. The only thing that is a little bothersome is being called a troll. Cant say that I get where this came from. Whatever...

Brandon- Yes that helps a lot. My other questions will be on the DIR board because they involve GUE instruction.

Wijbrandus- Cool. I dive out of A-1. I called Flatiron about DUI dry suit fit I never thought about asking about training. I'll give then a call. Thanks.

Dive safe all

The Kracken:
H2oyak,
My diving profile is limited to recreational, archaeological and some wreck diving. I am not DIR certified.

I've embraced the BP/Wing, long hose and bungied AAS because of the information I've gleaned from those on this board who employ the DIR philosophy and gear configuration. I've taken my course based on the logical arguments that they present when they have to defend, unfortunately, their style of diving to others.

I've found that in taking this course of action, I've reduced the weight required for a dive by about 10 pounds. I've also found that I'm much more streamlined in this configuration. I have taken, what I think the DIR divers would consider, "certain liberties" with my configuration such as running both the primary and AAS l/p hoses underneath my right arm and incorporating swivels on both regulators.

I find this configuration to be comfortable, streamlined and efficient.

Keep us posted on your progress in your diving.

Kracken, I take back every bad thing I've said to you! With both the long hose and the short hose under your arm with swivels on both, you sound like you've got your kit totally dir. one other question, do you know that with one more loop you can make a bowline knot? good luck with your diving???

P.S I told the mods I'd lighten up some. hope my new and improved attitude helps.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom