Diving the Similan Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamthornton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What is the best and cheapest way to dive at the Similan Islands?

I'll be in Thailand in August, which won't matter much for diving at the islands, but I will be coming back in November or December. I want to dive at the Similan Islands. What is the best way to do that/cheapest?

All my other dives have been myself and an instructor, with exception of my last 4 dives, in which a buddy of mine dove for his adventure diver, while I was finishing up my advanced course. The issues I had with this was his use of air was no where even close to mine. So I am a bit weary about diving with a group of people that use a lot of air quickly... What are my options? Dive buddies?

The BEST way to dive the Similan Islands is by high-end Live-aboard.
The CHEAPEST way to dive the Similan Islands is probably to do a day-trip to the Similan Islands from Khao Lak.
The BEST CHEAPEST way to dive the Similan Islands is to book a trip on a CHEAP live-aboard.

Remember though: you get what you pay for.......

High-end live-aboard... what would be considered high-end?

I'm assuming you get put into a group on those that dive with a dive master? As none of my friends are divers, nor would they able to keep making these trips to Thailand like I can. Guess I need to make new friends!! Maybe that already live in Thailand, lol.

If you plan to stay at the national park on the island, I think you can ask the officer for day-trip from the island as well. I once saw them provide a group of divers a long-tail boat to the dive sites. Not sure if they have the service everyday. It might depend on whether there are divers at the camp or not. But I am pretty sure that they have a diving center there. You might be able to find your dive buddies there too. This way, your friend can enjoy Similan's nice beach while you can have fun diving!

First of all, it's good in a way that you're not hoping to dive at the Similans in August since the park is closed until November. If you want to dive, you can still do some daytrips out of Phuket or from the islands in the Gulf of Thailand.

When you do return in November, Bowmouth has given you the two major options for diving at the islands.
1) You can do daytrips, usually by speedboat and usually consisting of two dives per day. These are not particularly cheap when we calculate the cost per-dive since last season they tended to run about THB 5500 (~$170) per trip to sites at the Similans and THB 6000 (~$185) for a trip to Richelieu Rock. This option is good for people who don't have the time or inclination to spend days on a liveaboard. Also it might be good if a person's budget won't allow enough money even for a short liveaboard since in terms of total outlay it is less expensive to do a single daytrip than to do a multi-day liveaboard trip. But the cost per dive is quite high.

2) You can do a liveaboard. The most typical trip length is 4 days/4 nights. Because these trips generally allow for four dives a day, they can become very cost-effective on a per-dive basis. The high end boats run from about $300/day and up. There are more moderately-priced boats, though, costing in the range of $250/day, and the budget boats for about $160 to $200/day. Understand that even within these general price categories, there is a range of prices and cabin types available. Obviously, if you get on a boat with lots of divers sleeping in dorm-style quad cabins and having access to shared heads, the cost is lower than if you book a boat with two people per cabin, private heads and fewer divers on board.

As far as dive buddies go, tour leaders on the boats do try to pair lone divers with others of similar abilities and experience, but of course any time you get an "insta-buddy" it's the luck of the draw. If you do not want to risk it, you can always hire a private dive master to go along with you. Then it's just you and the DM and nobody else.

In RE kannjihyun's suggestion to stay on one of the islands and dive, this is possible if you book an overnight dive trip starting from the mainland. These trips usually use speedboats to take you out to the islands where you dive the first day, spend one night on the island and dive on the second day, returning to the mainland in the afternoon. There aren't any dive operators on the islands, so you can't just rent a tank and a longtail boat and go diving, but you can snorkel. The national park has bungalow and tent accommodations for rent, food service, a small retail shop, restrooms, and nature trails, but there is no specific support for visiting divers.

High-end live-aboard... what would be considered high-end?

With high-end live-aboard I mean luxury live-aboard. They are more expensive than the "basic" live-aboards and "bunk-aboards" but I think its well worth the extra pennies.

These boats carry their passengers in great comfort, offer outstanding service, delicious meals and snacks, offer 4 to 5 dives per day, may give you the option to dive with a DM or just with a buddy or even solo-dive, may offer "unlimited" bottom-times for your dives, will conduct marine life slide-show(s), will have Nitrox available and will in general visit a wider range of dive sites than "basic" live-aboards and "bunk-aboards".

Treat yourself on something nice and memorable and book a trip on a luxury live-aboard!
:)

I'll be in Thailand in August, which won't matter much for diving at the islands, but I will be coming back in November or December. I want to dive at the Similan Islands. What is the best way to do that/cheapest?

All my other dives have been myself and an instructor, with exception of my last 4 dives, in which a buddy of mine dove for his adventure diver, while I was finishing up my advanced course. The issues I had with this was his use of air was no where even close to mine. So I am a bit weary about diving with a group of people that use a lot of air quickly... What are my options? Dive buddies?

If you can afford it of course the best way is by luxury liveaboard however not everyone has a couple of grand to blow on a weeks diving and thankfully there are other options for those that prefer to spend way less while diving the exact same dive sites.

You might consider coming to Koh Lanta which is a cool little island close to Krabi and the closest point for some great diving such as the famed Hin Daeng Hin Mueng which is easily accesible from the island. We also operate Koh Lantas only dive liveaboard (budget) and we have Free Nitrox onboard for all those certified to use it. We dive the Similans offering weeklong and 5 days 4 night trips starting in November but dive the other sites such as Hin Daeng, Hin Mueng, Ko Ha etc year round.

We have a variety of accomodations including Air conditioned Cabins with double bed or 2 bunks and also have cabins with 4 bunks and take a max of 16 divers.

There are some great less expensive options out there if you just spend some time looking around

As far as who to dive with we always have a nice mixture of divers from all over the world on board and we are very accomodating to each divers experience and we have max 4 divers per guide, I'll even dive with you if you like no worrys

Garry

Well I got some pretty good responses. Thanks all.

So I think I'm definitely going to aim for a live-aboard. I'd rather spend my time diving than riding a boat. So now I guess I'll be on the prowl to find the best boat. And quite possibly a private dive master. I'm really not into spending this kind of money for a trip, and then be diving in a group where someone goes through all their air and I'm at 150 bar... has happened with the friend I mentioned above...

But I was thinking about it... and if I hired a private dive master to dive with me, I have to cover the cost for that diver plus the services they provide? I would have to pay for two occupancy vs. one person? Ouch, if that's the case.

As far as budget vs. luxury. It doesn't matter so much. I can do either. It isn't a matter of which one I can afford, as long as the services, comfort, ease of living goes parallel with the increase in price. I'll probably be looking for a 4night or 5 night package. What are name of some of the luxury live-aboards?

I'll be diving this August, as I was aware that the park was closed this time of year, I have lined up to complete my wreck/nitrox specialties this time around, and then I might consider doing deep spec and a night adventure course, while I'm there in August. Or I guess I could do a night adventure before I go on the live-aboard in November/December, as I haven't experienced a night dive as of yet.

Hi Adam,

Since you'll be coming alone, the advantage of a cheaper liveaboard is quite often that they are not typical couples boats but more backpackers boat.

Hmm... so a cheaper live-aboard might consist of a group of individual backpackers or small groups of them, so more of a social setting. As I'm not very out-going, I will be on a boat for a few days, would be quite boring if there was nobody to talk to. It's an option and something to think about it. I still don't know how I feel about diving with a group of 3-6 others at the same time. Maybe it's ok, and I'm just being stuck-up, LOL.

I did my diving courses with a private instructor, as I felt it was more one-on-one with training, correcting techniques and generally less worrying about everyone else. I enjoyed that, but I haven't really gotten into the "let's just go diving" mode. All my previous dives have been course orientated and I'm ready for just a pure fun diving trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom