Diving the Similan Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I was thinking about it... and if I hired a private dive master to dive with me, I have to cover the cost for that diver plus the services they provide? I would have to pay for two occupancy vs. one person? Ouch, if that's the case.
No, you pay for the divemaster, but not his/hers accommodation.

Adam, it is true that the cheapest boats tend to attract backpackers and the most expensive boats tend to attract couples or at least dive buddies traveling together; that leaves the mid-range boats, which are a nice combo of both. They are not as posh as the high-end boats, but they are more comfortable than what bowmouth calls "bunk-aboards" since they have private heads for the cabins and semi-private rooms (some do have single rooms as well). These mid-range boats usually attract a slightly older average age group of divers--ones who can afford a bit more creature comfort and who often have their own dive equipment so are frequently on dedicated dive trips as opposed to backpackers who generally fold diving in as a part of a larger travel adventure. Mid-range boats do have some couples, but they also have lots of singles, so the social atmosphere is fairly inclusive. I would avoid boats in any price category that cater for one particular nationality, however, as if you don't speak that language it can get quite lonely!

These mid-range boats usually attract a slightly older average age group of divers--ones who can afford a bit more creature comfort and who often have their own dive equipment

:rofl3:
Quero,
The bold part belongs in the other thread!

Here some names of comfortable boats.
All 3 quite different too!

Black Manta
Philkade
The Junk (June Hong Chian Lee)

Siren

Philkade has not sailed in Thailand since 2009 when she was sold. Do you know otherwise, Bowmouth? Are the new owners thinking of bringing her back to us?

Check the boat has Nitrox if you want to dive with that. Many of the cheaper ones don't have it.

Lots of "early bird" specials at the moment offering great discounts if you book soon.

For example: the fabulous MV Queen Scuba gives you free Nitrox on all dives if you book ahead.

I think whichever boat you choose you will find a nice group of like minded people.

Siren

Philkade has not sailed in Thailand since 2009 when she was sold. Do you know otherwise, Bowmouth? Are the new owners thinking of bringing her back to us?

Hi Quero,

I've heard some rambling about the Philkade but not from a reliable source. I put the name of the boat down because it is a nice vessel and who knows, maybe it will carry divers again sometime soon.
You're right about the SY Siren, she's a nice boat too and just got a big overhaul. This boat is not starting trips in Thailand until early December though.
:dutchflag:

Thanks everyone for your information. Either way I'll be in Thailand the first two weeks of August and I'm ready to do some diving!!! I've been in the desert (Iraq) toooo long. Need less desert sand, more ocean bottom sand.

My live-aboard I'll figure out once I complete this trip, still gotta decide between late November or December....

Hi Adam,
Why don't you just team up with the dive guide instead of hiring one? I always do that. Why should I wasting my time and money on some incompetent divers? I once had to demonstrate how to clear the mask under water to my buddy(stranger) who was supposed to be an advanced diver!!! And there are several similar stories to tell!!
My mate and I had been diving at Similan on three occasions and we only used Scuba Cat. They have two boats plying their trades there. We were more than happy with thier services.
The problem of joining a liveaboard alone is the other divers!!!! Some of them are pain in the.......
Good luck of finding a good boat as there are so many to choose from. But even an expensive boat does not guarantee your fellow divers will be behaving immaculately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom