Diving timepieces - split from A New Piece Of Diving Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto D6.

I dive with a swatch fun scuba watch. It has a depth gauge and automatic dive timer which start at the beginning of your dive. It is also very good for checking and improving your dive profile as at the end of the dive it will play the dive at 60x speed (1min = 1 second) or if your free diving for less then 1 minute playback is in real time. It can save up to 2 dives and also will show you your max depth and bottom time before showing your dive profile.

Suunto vyper is my comp but thinking of getting a Mares Icon HD

I dive with a Nitek plus (as back up), and Trio

Citizen Aqualand Eco-drive:
JV0000-04E_25.jpg

I use to carry a Fossil blue watch WP to 100m, but I lost it... I refuse to dive with my Rolex DeepSea SeaDweller even though its WaterProof to 12,000' (not sure why this deep) it was passed down to me from my Grand Father, and I don't want to risk scratching, or loseing it...

My first dive watch was a Candino with a internal bezel (I was 12 and a newly certified diver).

In 1972, after completing the Navy Diver training program, I purchased a used Rolex Submariner. Three years later, it was blown-up in the decompression chamber at DCIEM.

I traded the pieces and $550 for a new Rolex Sea Dweller which I sold last week for $17,000 (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...alyzers/320640-vintage-rolex-sea-dweller.html).

I've used all watches as an everyday timepiece. Last week, I purchased a new Rolex Deep Sea for approximately $9,000 less than I received for my 35 year old Sea Dweller. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/321067-new-piece-diving-equipment-2.html

As a collectors item, I thought I'd be better off to sell it, buy a new watch and pocket the cash.

It's odd to think how my father thought that I was out of my mind to spend so much on my previous Rolex watches. As it turns out, my mistake was that I didn't buy a whole lot more than I did. :mooner:

Insane. :)

DCBC, you're my hero. :D

It's like anything, the sky is the limit when it comes to watches (just check out some of the $1,500,000.00 Patek Phillipes!). Watches are essentially a form of mechanical art. Most people don't really understand the complex workings of an automatic mechanical watch, but that's ok - each to his own.

I have a number of awesome dive watches but the one I dive with is my automatic Seiko "Orange Monster" - it's neither the least or (by no means) the most expensive watch I own but it is the one I trust that I can easily replace if lost (by "easily replace" I mean it won't set me back more than a few hundred bucks).

I also use a Suunto Gekko.

Cheers!

I use to carry a Fossil blue watch WP to 100m, but I lost it... I refuse to dive with my Rolex DeepSea SeaDweller even though its WaterProof to 12,000' (not sure why this deep) it was passed down to me from my Grand Father, and I don't want to risk scratching, or loseing it...

Bell & Ross used to have a watch that was tested to 36,000 ft.

Back
Top Bottom