Diving versus Driving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverlady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would you rule out a diver as a buddy upon seeing the person's driving abilities (or lack of)?

Here's the story.

I recently did a roadtrip for some diving/camping and among those attending the trip and thus, participating in the convoy there, were some divers I had never met (they were recently certified). During the 13hr drive to the dive location, I witnessed one diver's driving habits and immediately thought "I'm not buddying up with that person - EVER!!).
Firstly, she couldn't keep up and thus split the mini-convoy (only 6 vehicles) up for a short while. She was asked if the pace was too fast for her as the leader could slow down if she preferred. She said it was fine. The driving speed had been discussed before departure and everyone had agreed. After this, she did endeavour to keep up.
Secondly, whenever the convoy passed another vehicle, she would put on blinders and pull out whenever she wanted to without checking traffic in that lane. I was immediately behind her (she had decided to pass me at one point - reason unknown) and cringed numerous times expecting to hear the screeching of brakes and crunching of metal but fortunately other drivers were being attentive. Not only did she cut off other drivers but also her own convoy mates. She was all over the place! She must have had her eyes glued on the bumper in front of her without any clue as to what was happening further ahead. Several times a lead vehicle would change lanes to pass a vehicle exiting and the others in the group would stay put seeing what was going on but this woman was clueless! It may not seem like too much as I have written it but remember, this went on for 13 hours!! I was so disgusted with her lack of attention to anything around her that I didn't even want to speak to her.
Thirdly, during any breaks her conversation was completely about her! Actually, all through the week she was very "me" oriented. Personally, I wasn't interested in hearing about her toenail fungus (yes, she actually told us this!!) and all her medical problems. Nor did anyone like having to repeat everything said during a conversation as she was rarely paying attention - this included dive briefings.
She was eventually paired up with a DM - good choice - who had to help her put her gear on in the correct order (did I mention that she was certified in the past but hadn't been in the water for several years and so redid the course) and carry her equipment (she couldn't manage this alone). She also couldn't put her tent up by herself. A couple of others had to do it for her. I didn't see if she actually helped as I was busy setting up my own tent.

So, here's my opinion. After witnessing this person's inattentiveness to anything around her and her lack of consideration to other drivers including those she was travelling with, her inability to basically do anything by herself, I would seriously not want to dive with her. If I were to have a problem underwater, would she even have a clue? Would she be capable of assisting me? What would she do?

Apparently I wasn't alone in my opinion on this new diver. No one in the group really wanted to dive with her. Another new diver who was in her class was staying as far away from her as possible and approached me to buddy up.

So, after that long-winded post, what does everyone else think?

(NOTE - I did do a brief historical search for this topic but came up empty)

Diverlady

diverlady

I like the way you think. IMO this is a valid comparison. Driving an automobile is inherently more dangerous than many will admit. Many people really just go through the motions when driving. Not paying attention and just "doing it" as they have done many times before. They just don't think about how much damage can be done with a car to others themselves. Sounds like many people I know or have seen while diving.

Good call diverlady...

Some people pay attention to everything in their surroundings.

Some people stare off into outer space.
Some people are too wrapped up in themselves to pay attention.
Some people have attention deficit disorder.
Some people were deprived oxygen at an early age.

Some people will never be my dive buddy.
Some people will be paired off with the DM.

To answer your question, I wouldn't dive with her.
Reckless on land, reckless at sea.

Send her a copy of Warren's book - The Purpose Driven Life.

Chapter one - Line One.

IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. :D

Maybe she will get the hint if you highlite it.

I thought this was going to be another Trimix/deep air discussion:wink:

I honestly don't think she'd get it!!

Diverlady

I thought I heard of some bad stories but they usually occur in the water. I would agree with mike on this one - their driving skills (or lack thereof) reflects the same attitude the person takes towards diving.
From the sounds of it I am not sure if the person mentioned was really into diving? From the people that I know that dive they are typically very interested in it and take it seriously. Maybe the person's spoilt and has had everything done for them in the past, taking examples from the tent and the gear assembly.
If their own classmate wouldn't want to dive with them, I don't think I would either. The classmate probably had seen much worse stuff in class.
If they are that oblivous to diving and their surroundings, heck to just their surrounding (as in the driving example) they will likely need a BIG jolt to get corrected. What I mean by that is that they would have to have a serious accident before they realize their mistakes. Too bad, but I guess that's the only way some people learn...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom