Diving vs. Posting About Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice tritonia ... did you find it at Cove 2? They've been showing up there regularly of late.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We did a scooter dive Cove 1/Mari's Wreck/I beams/ Honey bear and saw quite a few of them in the shallows on the way back to Cove 1. Grabbed the cameras and went back.

It's funny ... I posted a thread about warm weather coming and what are folks doing to get ready? ... and the response I got was mostly, "We never stopped diving, you wuss." But when I start a whimsical thread about posting here during the off season, people get defensive and say they haven't been diving because it's cold.

:idk:

Personally, I prefer warmer water. I'll dive in the cold, but I have proved my bravery (at least to myself) too many times in too many ways to worry about that stuff.

All of the "peak moment" dives that I've made, save one (maybe two), where in cold water.

It's not the temps so much as the storms that have kept me ashore. My capt invited me to shoot in a tournament this weekend, but then the weather turned poopy. I don't get every weekend off, and it seems the good wx always occurs during my weekends on. Weekday trips are harder to find.

Suppose I could break down and buy a boat ... but "breaking down" is all boats seem to do. I use them at work, and my experience with constantly fixing them makes me loath to saddle myself with one.

Anyway I get butterflies just thinking about getting out there again. Hopefully I will remember which end of a scuba tank goes up.

I don't think the OP meant to imply this, but are there actually SB'ers who feel that participants in these threads need to "earn" the right to participate and contribute ideas by having "enough" dives, years of experience, or training? I sure hope not, because I doubt if I'd ever be able to "measure up" to those kinds of expectations, yet I certainly enjoy participating in the exchanges here. Granted, I try to make sure anything I post reflects only my opinion or are the results of whatever limited experience I might have. I strive not to project any kind of "machoism" and I certainly hope my posts don't come across that way. This is a great place to learn and even laugh, and I would hate to see any efforts made to curb that kind of free exhange, even from the inexperienced (such as me).

Exactly. :clapping:

I have learned quite a bit from researching a couple of different forums, but in particular SB. I try to only offer my experiences and observations and refrain from offering advice because I don't consider myself experienced enough. I've also met some divers through forums that I like to be around and feel comfortable diving with, that wouldn't have happened if I'd been holding back my posts to match number of dives.

The idea that one should limit their posts to approximate the number of dives is stupid IMO. It's no different than if you met a few divers at the pub or at a bbq and started to 'talk shop'. You wouldn't sit there and say to yourself 'I've only got 80 dives so therefore I should only make 80 comments.'

It is a conversation, it's just online.

I would love to a able to dive more but with shift work, kids, money (lack of) and the nearest dive shop and dive site being 40 mins away and most dive sites being 1-2 hours, I don't do too bad.

As a new member to SB and to scuba diving, I find I am learning at a much quicker pace studying the intelligent posts while diving as often as possible. There is always something to learn. When you stop learning, you start dying!

I'm certainly no one to offer anyone my sage advice about diving, but then it never dawned on me that I had to have some minimum amount of experience to post on a public board with thousands of threads.

The few threads I've started were all about asking for, not offering, guidance.

With the exception of one notorious thread about a certain gear marking product, which I found to be a relabed common product, and thought divers might find that interesting and save a few dollars ... . Which later morphed on its own into two threads (well three, but I never followed the third one). More than 500 posts later it's still alive, if only as a source of amusement. Who knew?

I've learned a lot on this board in the few months I've been here. I'm no expert diver, but there are whole sub-boards for experts, and I would not deign to hold forth on those.

If the darn weather ever improves and my boss approves some more time off, I'm sure my dive-to-post ratio will shift dramatically.

Meanwhile it's fun to come in here and at least talk about diving.

By the way, what do you call that big heavy metal thing you wear on your back?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom