Diving War Graves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer:
I simply do not understand the fixation some people have with dead bodies.

If christians, jews, muslims, atheists, hindus and even tiny jedi muppets all agree then where does this belief in the sacred nature of a corpse come from? The ancient egyptians?

I think it's a Branch Davidian or Falun Gong thing.

dweeb:
If he doesn't get on your case for eating meat on a Friday, then you shouldn't get on his for not adhering to your morbid idolatry.

dude... find out what a person thinks before using "morbid
idolatry" in a sentence

dweeb:
Now, my point was, in a free society, with that all sacred concept of freedom of conscience and separation of church and state, how do we justify making laws on YOUR statement of belief, the one that implies that because "that rotting meat has mothers, fathers, wives, and children who might feel differently" we have some obligation as a society to accommodate them in our laws, and NOT making laws based on PETA's statements of belief? There's easily as much of a gulf between your position and PETA's as between, say, a Southern Baptist and a Buddhist.

dude, get your panties off their bunch and listen up.

my point was that you were juxtaposing two statements

1. dead soldiers deserve respect; and

2. you shouldn't eat cows

as if they had equal value.

next time you're gonna argue a position, use a better comparison.

you are essentially saying that me spousing view 1 is the
same as PETA spousing view 2. i take offense to that.

i would never argue that no one should eat meat. i will
definetely argue that we should all show respect for dead
soldiers.

Don't feed the troll :wink:

For a definition of troll follow the link Uncle Pug has put up as sticky in the DIR forum :wink:

Just don't poke the human remains with a stick!

H2Andy:
dude... find out what a person thinks before using "morbid
idolatry" in a sentence

It's as good a term as any for this reverencing of the empty husks of former people.

Take my organs that can be used, and then gimme a Hefty bag on the curb. I won't need it anymore; I'll be getting a spiffy new one when Jesus comes back.

H2Andy:
my point was that you were juxtaposing two statements

1. dead soldiers deserve respect; and

2. you shouldn't eat cows

as if they had equal value.

PETA are the ones claiming equal value.
The founding principles of this nation state
that, officially, they do have equal value.
The powers that be in the USA have ruled that
Larry Flynt's visual tantrums of misogynist titillation
are just as sacred as the proposition that people of all
races have equal rights, or that we shouldn't be fighting in a given war. All assertions of belief are legally equal.
I believe a prerequisite for the way you make a living involves some oath to defend the document that says they are equal, does it not?

H2Andy:
next time you're gonna argue a position, use a better comparison.

you are essentially saying that me spousing view 1 is the
same as PETA spousing view 2. i take offense to that.

You're certainly free to take offense, but it doesn't change the fact that you are asserting a belief, just as they are, and that there are those who find your belief just as bizarre as many people find PETA's.

H2Andy:
i would never argue that no one should eat meat. i will
definetely argue that we should all show respect for dead
soldiers.

I would never argue that a crucifix belongs in a jar of urine. That doesn't mean I'm going to issue a fatwa for the artist's death. You are entitled to your belief in respect for dead soldiers. I share it. You are also entitled to your belief that reverence for their corpses is an appropriate way to show this respect. I don't share that. Personally, I think the whole thing about never leaving a fallen comrade behind is counter-productive. If I was in combat, I'd rather my buddies achieved the mission and got their own hides back to fight another day than worry about hauling my corpse back. They can leave my body in the mud - it's OK, because I WON'T BE THERE ANYMORE.
You want to show respect for dead soldiers? Do it by upholding the principles they died for, not by making idols out of the debris they left behind when they left this world. The best way to do that is by not imposing your corpse worship on people who prefer to value the soul over the body.

Alternatively, you could at least have the consistency to picket museums for the re-interment of all the pharoahs' remains.

"I hold your hand in mine, Dear;
I press it to my lips.
I take a healthy bite from your dainty fingertips.
My joy would be complete, Dear,
if you were only here,
but still I keep your hand as a precious souvenir.

The night you died I cut it off -
I really don't know why.
For now each time I kiss it,
I get blood stains on my tie....."

- Tom Lehrer

dweeb:
You're certainly free to take offense, but it doesn't change the fact that you are asserting a belief, just as they are, and that there are those who find your belief just as bizarre as many people find PETA's.

sounds like you've re-invented the wheel here, Dweeb,
when in fact you have just stated the classic cop out
of moral relativists.

if this is the case, slavery is just a belief, not right nor
wrong. Hitler's Nazi party were just spousing a belief,
and they were neither right nor wrong. The militants
that kidnap civilians in Iraq and behead them on video
are just spousing a belief, they are neither right nor wrong.

what's wrong with this picture?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom