Diving War Graves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Evans

"Mr Mares"
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have noticed that GUE have dived the Repulse in the South China Sea, the group entered the wreck which is a British war Grave.

What do people think about this??? Is it morally right to do this????

Mr Mares:
I have noticed that GUE have dived the Repulse in the South China Sea, the group entered the wreck which is a British war Grave.

I saw some people walking around a cemetary yesterday on my drive home from work...

Look, the mere presence of divers on a wreck should not be as much a cause for alarm as someone looting said wrecks.

Generally accepted here you can dive them but dont disturb the wreck, for example dont go inside or take anything from it.

We dive war graves all the time - U-85, U-352, U-853, U-869, whatever.. Is it somehow more acceptable to dive German war graves than it is English ones?

IMO, as long as you don't disturb anything you are not causing any harm.

Some are prohibited, with the means to back it up. Recreational divers cannot dive Pearl Harbor.

Remote wrecks with prohibitions would still be dived on, as no one would be around to stop them.

Mr Mares:

i think we should respect the dead and leave them alone,there are so many other things we can do instead of disturbing a grave,compare it with digging out a grave at the yard and open the caket,gross,pe :11: ace

Technically the U-853 off block island is a WWII war grave. We dive it all the time up here. I am sure the rest of the U-boats are classified as War graves too, but they make for some awsome diving.

alemaozinho:
i think we should respect the dead and leave them alone,there are so many other things we can do instead of disturbing a grave,compare it with digging out a grave at the yard and open the caket,gross,pe :11: ace

I really really doubt if they care. Its the same as the cemetary. If you don't dig up graves there, why would you in a wreck? Geez.

And, what happens when the wreck turns into a pile of rusted ruin. At least some can see it as it is. Reverant or not, as always,, is up to the individual.

MD

Back
Top Bottom