Diving War Graves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
RESPECT others as you would want to be respected. As D D said you can not dive Peral Harbor do's that mean it is more sacred than others war graves

I dunno'? We dive WWII wrecks - US & German, off of North Carolina.

If I'm dead, i don't mind others looking at my dead body.... :) jk

On a more serious note, I think it would be really neat to go into a uboat and see some of the actual equipment used in World War II. It's something that you know very few people see and it's in it's actual state rather than looking at some type of reconstructed tank in a museum. Personally, I think it's a good way to remember those who died in World War II. I think it would mean a lot more to me if when I was in Pearl Harbor I could have gotten to see more than just the very top of the ship and some oil.

I'm not really sure, i understand both point of views. But I don't find it disrespectful as many others have said unless you go down and plan to take things off of the wreck. If you come and go and leave it as it is, no harm done.

Because the Government say's it's different, and Pearl is an active US Navy base. Even if the NOAA or whoever it is didn't close the Arizona, I'm sure the US Navy wouldn't like the tourist traffic from dive ops coming in and screwing up their navigation patterns.

On the other hand, if the Arizona were legal to dive, and not in a secured environment, I'd dive it in a heartbeat.

When I started this thread it was not meant to be a case of British wrecks being special, or derseving different treatment.

I too walk around grave yards, I dont dig them up and take pictures. ie there is no reason why anybody should not dive a wreck but why enter and take pictures when you know there are human remains present.

Would you dive the Arizona if you could?

I personally find this a difficult subject, hence the question, I'am not saying its right or wrong :33:

I think 95% of respondents on this board would dive the Arizona.

To claim otherwise would be rather hypocritical, given the popularity of the Truk Lagoon.

I think the whole 'war grave' thing is BUNK.
The dead don't care.

Where do we draw the line?
If we extend the idea we could prohibit almost every activity on most of the earth as there have been wars, deaths and many bodies were never recovered.

It is funny, but whole burial mounds can be dug up and moved to put up a shopping mall or a bridge. What is so terrible about diving on a wreck?

Boogie711:
Because the Government say's it's different, and Pearl is an active US Navy base. Even if the NOAA or whoever it is didn't close the Arizona, I'm sure the US Navy wouldn't like the tourist traffic from dive ops coming in and screwing up their navigation patterns.

On the other hand, if the Arizona were legal to dive, and not in a secured environment, I'd dive it in a heartbeat.

Boogie, with the greatest respect do you think this is the only reason? Pearl Harbour is a place that is deeply ingrained into American history for truly horrorfing reasons, even if the reason you have stated above were void I doubt the American Govement would allow the Arizona to be dived.

Mr Mares:
Boogie, with the greatest respect do you think this is the only reason? Pearl Harbour is a place that is deeply ingrained into American history for truly horrorfing reasons, even if the reason you have stated above were void I doubt the American Govement would allow the Arizona to be dived.

Read my response again. The question was "Why is Pearl Different." The answer I provided was "Because the Government says it's different." I then went on to supplement that answer with the concerns about active military base et al.

If the Government DIDN'T declare it a war memorial, then there would be divers on it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom