Diving While Unaware of Pregnancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha Stoo, thanks for the kind reply and the giggle. Now I'm really worried! :)

My second child (of three) is my only daughter. She inherited my "nomad gene" so she works her tail off in short spurts then travels. She just returned from 6 months in Nepal and India. Last year, she lived in Phnom Penh and worked with an NGO that was fighting the child sex trade. She's 5'4", 105# soaking wet and travels alone.

She got home last Wednesday and both she and my wife were concerned that I have been sleeping about 10 hours a night since then... about double what I normally do.

It took them a few days before they realized it's because I don't have to half-sleep with my cell phone beside the bed waiting for a text or phone call from some seedy city on the other side of the world.

And then there was the first date in that punk's car.

And the time my second son crashed his car and his girlfriend called me from the hospital saying they had him undergoing a CAT scan since they suspected a brain injury. (Only a concussion...)

So ya, a little prego diving... piece o' cake... :)

It is a fun ride though, this parenthood thing...

This is a very controversial topic and one well worth addressing since 40 weeks of pregnancy not only has a effect on the diver but also on the dive buddy. While there is limited research out on the effects of diving while pregnant, there also is not research saying that you should not do it. Sure we should all err on the side of caution but then you'd have to say pregnant women shouldn't ride a bike, drive a car, run marathons, lift heavy objects, etc. Just fifteen years ago women were told not to exercise or strength train because it could negatively effect the fetus. Now do to research and women not adhering to what was once the standard, we know that you can exercise but like everything else, there are parameters.

Studies done on sheep, dogs, and rats have shown that nitrogen does can cross through the placenta and into the tissues of the fetus. However, each species showed different results due to the placement of the placenta, number of sacs, etc. Yes, some showed damage to the fetus while others were perfectly fine. These animals were tested well beyond the typical limitations of what the recreational diver would go to. For example, 160 ft. for over an hour (simulation of course). There is no research that supports being pregnant increases your chances of developing DCI. One of the main concerns is that the nitrogen built up while diving will pass along to the fetus and but not be "breathed" off during off gas time.

While there are no studies with humans have been published since 1989 (no birth defects or abnormalities reported, BTW), surveys have been completed by women who dove while pregnant, some even into the third trimester. Survey results revealed that up to 5% gave birth to babies with birth defects or who later developed complications. The average rate of babies born with birth defects to women who do not dive is also 5%. So while the general consensus is to hang up the gear for 40 weeks, is it really necessary? I know plenty of women who dove while pregnant (not to mention the AMA divers in Japan) and gave birth to perfectly healthy babies. Another large concern is AGE's (arterial gas embolism) or gas bubbles. Fun fact, AGE's can also happen during sex when air is forced into the vagina and makes its way past the cervix and into the uterus....should we stop having sex when pregnant too???

Some things to consider if you do choose to dive while pregnant: make sure your gear still fits right, excess interstitial fluid may effect you ability to clear your ears, buoyancy may be off so be sure to adjust your weight properly, don't do any crazy technical diving you haven't done before, STAY WITHIN THE LIMITS, and allow some extra off gas time if you're really worried about it.

When doing your research, look for published, peer reviewed articles rather than just googling AND look at the date.....a lot of stuff floating around is from many many moons ago. The average person in general thinks diving itself is a VERY dangerous sport and would never do it, but we divers know the inherent risks, we educate ourselves, we have our gear serviced, and we don't do anything stupid (most of us!).

While there is little info on diving while pregnant... what IS out there suggests that it's not a great idea.

There's even less information on the effects of hyperbaric treatment for dive injuries on a developing fetus. That information also seems to suggest that treatment for dive-related injuries is not great for the fetus either.

If you know you're pregnant and diving and get bent, you're really in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Of course, your also in a "damn... that situation could have been avoided altogether" situation.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2015 at 04:46 PM ----------

Yes, the inadvertent or deliberate experiment has undoubtedly been done a thousand times or more over the years. It is too bad that DAN does not evaluate this sort of thing.

They'd need people to report it... and provide follow-up information for years. Between non-reports, over-reports of negative sequelae and complete lack of a control group you'd end up with a pile of numbers (I wouldn't even call it "data") that would be worth about as much as a good guess.

Y'know, some of these nanny States are pressing charges against women that do drugs while pregnant - child endangerment.

I wonder if scuba diving women can also be charged under the same statutes. :hm:

There is in fact information on hyberbaric treatment and pregnant women. It's used quite often in Russia as well as the United States and Europe for the treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning with no reports of adverse effects on the fetus or fatalities. So while the partial pressure is not exactly the same as for DCI, it's pretty close. It is much more detrimental to not treat than to treat. Though I will agree there is an imposed risk for anyone diving, an article published in The Journal of Travel Medicine concludes that "IF a pregnant woman is diving within the decompression limits, fetal injury is more likely linked to a variety of factors including maternal fitness, maternal age, dive profile, dive frequency, hydration state, and/or unknown health factors."

I'm not here to have a pissing contest, and whether a pregnant woman decides to dive or not is not up to me. I just simply want to produce current information on a hot topic that I've been researching for some time.

Sure we should all err on the side of caution but then you'd have to say pregnant women shouldn't ride a bike, drive a car, run marathons, lift heavy objects, etc.

That's ridiculous.

Just fifteen years ago women were told not to exercise or strength train because it could negatively effect the fetus.

Even 30 years ago, I recall that the general consensus was to work out in moderation and it was ok to continue an established routine, but to avoid starting a demanding fitness regime while pregnant.

When doing your research, look for published, peer reviewed articles rather than just googling AND look at the date.....

And get qualified advice, preferably not on the internet.

Remember that this affects you for only 9 months or much less by the time you know you're pregnant, but it could potentially affect the little life inside of you for their entire life. Is that potential risk worth it?

One of my best friends went on a liveaboard in the Galapagos Islands several years ago. She did 3-5 dives a day for a solid week. A few fellow divers had some stomach issues which nobody was sure if it was a stomach bug or food poising. After returning home and not able to shake off the nausea and fatigue, my friend went to her Internist. She discussed her concerns with contracting a parasite while on vacation. The MD told her "I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that you do indeed have a parasite. The good news is that you will be rid of it in 8 months." 9 years later, her daughter is healthy, smart and just purchased a hot pink pair of fins for a snorkel trip.

It happened to me 2 time, I was unaware I was pregnant and working in the dive industry so diving pretty much every day.

The first time unfortunately I lost the baby, but there was no link to the fact I had dived without knowing I was pregnant. I stopped as soon as I found out but must have done maybe 30 to 40 dives in the 6 weeks before I knew, including a liveaboard for 4 days with 4 dives a day and daytrips with 3 dives per day.

With My son everything was fine, I was working more in the office at this point and only did a few pool dives and a few days in open water before I realised. He is a happy health little boy who is actually 1 year old today :)

I am sure you will be fine, just relax and enjoy the next few months before your little one arrives.

Earlier in the year I went on a dive trip unaware of the fact that I had just become pregnant. I did 13 warm water dives (2-3 times a day) in my second week of pregnancy and just two dives for the entire third week. I did not go into decompression on any of these dives, my computer is set to be quite conservative. However I am fully aware that any amount diving is strongly discouraged during pregnancy due to the fact that there is a lack of information on safety.

I'm wondering if there are any other women out there who accidentally went diving in the first trimester with a "surprise pregnancy"? If you would be willing to share your experience and outcome in regards to the health of the baby I would greatly appreciate it. It's hard to find any information or discussion regarding this online and I'm sure it's more common than you would think.

BTW- I have not been diving since, and had I known I was pregnant (or could even become pregnant) I would never have taken this risk in a thousand years, so please be kind.

Thanks.

Don't worry, as you were, not knowing that you are pregnant, just consult and inform to your doctor about this, don't discourage yourself, take suggestion from the doctor about the precautions should be taken during this phase, so that there are no complication for the mother and the child, use coupe menstruelle during menstruation after pregnancy, so that your menstrual hygiene is also maintained, and enjoy your pregnancy journey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom