Diving with a Beard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm not sure how basic or advanced this tip is, but it's something I picked up many years ago and it has always worked for me: to make a mask seal with a beard, I just shave 2 mm worth of facial hair below my nose, and the seal will greatly improve right away. I just made a brief video explaining the tip:

Silicone grease on your tash then you dont have to shave any of it

I use some lanolin on my 'stache. Be careful with some products like silicone and petroleum jelly as they can cause damage to the skirt in the long run. I would have thought silicone grease would be fine but it was explained to me some time ago that it can cause the skirt to break down.
I just started using silicone grease on my mustache. I had not thought of that, but that does make perfect sense. Like dissolves like, and the silicone grease will likely break the skirt down over time. I will be giving lanolin or beeswax a try instead, thanks!

My dive instructor suggested any kind of petroleum jelly. I imagine it would basically be the same as silicone grease.

Both silicone and petroleum grease do not work for me. If I had a 'pencil' stache maybe. Grizzly Adams style, nah.
I have been trimming just under my nose for years.
Also, I use masks that have a matching narrow skirt in the same area.

My dive instructor suggested any kind of petroleum jelly. I imagine it would basically be the same as silicone grease
Petroleum jelly is made from petroleum and will destroy the likes of O-rings in the long term, so I guess it may have the same effect on mask skirts.

Silicone grease should not have the same effect, otherwise we wouldn't use it on camera housing O-rings.

I know there are different types of O-rings and grease, but perhaps someone with further knowledge can give a scientific explanation.

Never tried it, but, what about chapstick? Isn't that basically wax based? Just a thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom