Diving with a Junior Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or someone who has an issue during their referral (perhaps an equalization problem) who is unable to complete all four open water dives. They might be able to get a Scuba Diver cert, which is better than sending them away with nothing...

I've issued it when a student was having significant issues with being cold. She was able to get through enough of the skills that we could get her "Scuba Diver" so that she did not go away empty handed and was still able to do what she wanted on a planned trip.

And one big benefit is it's an actual certification, so there's no time limit on moving forward. That is, a Scuba Diver can upgrade to Open Water at any time in the future, without the restriction of having to do another component within 12 months.

It was my original post that spawned this thread. I'll simply state that our 11 year old will be with a private DM so that it's a professional with him in the drift dives of Cozumel instead of just mom and dad for his first trip down to the island. Yes, we will of course be there too. I'm researching the possibilities of good DM's with jr certs so that no one else on the boat would be affected by our needs.... I would never intend to ruin someone else's hard earned diving vacation trip. We know the depth limits of his dives and will be quite happy to watch him and relish his new learning. No one else will be hampered by us when I pick the right fit..... I'll take a 40 ft dive watching our son over a 80 ft dive any day!
Continued Safe bubbles to all of you :)

Or someone who has an issue during their referral (perhaps an equalization problem) who is unable to complete all four open water dives. They might be able to get a Scuba Diver cert, which is better than sending them away with nothing...

So its like soccer? Everyone gets a trophy? Back down, I am just kidding. I had ear issues. Really though, NO ONE wants to be a 'scuba diver.'

When do you arrive, Chief? We're going to need more than just one drink.

12/6. And since it appears even MY BOA card might be charging 3% at the ATM, I will REALLY need to step it up on getting someone else to buy my drinks.

My 11 yr old is a new JOW diver. I could not imagine dropping him below 30' right now. I plan on bringing him to the island in a couple of months. My plan is to talk to the dive op before the trip. My JOW will bubble watch the first dive and then he will splash a shallow site with me AND a dedicated DM. Floating above the reef as opposed to skimming over the surface of it will have to do for now. Nothing is more fun than diving, but nothing is more important than my son. He has plenty of years to slowly become a good safe diver. I am in no rush.

My 11 yr old is a new JOW diver. I could not imagine dropping him below 30' right now. I plan on bringing him to the island in a couple of months. My plan is to talk to the dive op before the trip. My JOW will bubble watch the first dive and then he will splash a shallow site with me AND a dedicated DM. Floating above the reef as opposed to skimming over the surface of it will have to do for now. Nothing is more fun than diving, but nothing is more important than my son. He has plenty of years to slowly become a good safe diver. I am in no rush.
Why Cozumel for his first dive trip then? Why not somewhere shallower overall and/or without significant currents?

Our son is currently 12 with 75 dives and has been diving since he was 10. He did the 5 Seal Team pool sessions when he was 9. Our son has turned out to be an amazing diver and always gets compliments from DM's on the dive trips we've done. His buoyancy is never an issue (never was), never crashed the coral and OK he touched a turtle but it was just hanging there and totally nonplussed by his presence. We did our AOW locally, full 7mm hood and gloves with crap viz. No issues other than the DM-in-training we were buddied with (first 2 dives OOA!!!)

He has been deeper than 40', in Cayman Brac it's hard not too. He handled the depths perfectly fine. We all have our own Atomic Cobalts and yes, you shouldn't rely too much on toys but, having something so important, so easy to read,see and plan on can't be understated. He uses a Zuma XXS BCD still! I wouldn't recommend an all size fits all.

I did have major issues on the Brac on our first dive trip (when they saw he was 10, they basically didn't want him diving), thankfully a new op opened up and off we went. You have to let the OP know his age before you go. Salt Cay Divers was totally cool, Provo took some work. First op was "full" (not likely...), 2nd wanted a private DM and the third was OK as long he stayed at 40'. 40'-55' was more the range and besides that was where the stuff was, not much lower down on the wall. I still make a point to mention it.

Never done drift yet, going with Aldora this March. Taking the DD course right off and will re-read the drift portion in the AOW manual. As for parents not wanting to dive with someone this young????? Seriously?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom