Diving with R.E.E.F. in Utila with Deep Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drdiver1952

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finding the Bacon Snapper—Diving with R.E.E.F. in Utila, July 16, 2005 to July 23, 2005

This was my sixth trip with R.E.E.F., the fish survey group which maintains a data base of fish counted in member conducted surveys. This “citizen science” group is one of my favorite groups to dive with as it is diving with a purpose, the quality of the dive operations chosen is high, and the R.E.E.F. members are just great people.

Getting to Utila is no small trick. There are decent connections from Houston and Miami to San Pedro Sula, but the flight out to Utila is on Atlantic Airways, a small commuter line for Central America using 20 passenger turboprops. We flew from SPS to La Ceiba, a port on mainland Honduras and from there after a 2 hour layover to Utila. There we were met by Shirley with Deep Blue Resort with a taxi bus that took us to the Deep Blue Diver Dive School and from there, via boat to Deep Blue Resort.

About half of us didn’t get our bags (I had mine) and Deep Blue Resort run by Shirley’s son Steve and Jasmine did there best to make up for the lack of luggage. With good rental dive gear and help with T-shirts and other clothing and amenities, they kept us going until the luggage showed up 2 days later. Very good service in this department even though the fault had nothing to do with them.

Deep Blue Resort is nicely set among coconut palms and other vegetation on the south side of the island facing the Honduras mainland which is visible in the distance. The boat leaves from the lagoon side of the island however which makes for calm boardings and exits in the evenings. Rooms are clean and air-conditioned with balconies facing the ocean. They are moving the dock closer to the resort which will shorten the walk from the dock to and from the resort.

Our usual schedule was 2 tank dives in the morning and a 1 tank dive in the afternoon or two tanks in the morning and a night dive. Utila isn’t a big island so even drives out to the north side of the island only took an hour or so.

Diving was simply put--spectacular. I rate it in the top three places I’ve been in the Caribbean (along with Saba and Little Cayman). Steve, divemaster Chris and Swin the boat captain know the dive sites like the back of their hands and gave impressive briefings every time. For the most part, the reef is in excellent condition. Weather from Hurricane Emily was not an issue. We did miss out on some night dives because of weather, but it was not sure that these squalls were hurricane related and they did cool the temperature off some.

The R.E.E.F. group was all experienced divers and allowed to pretty much dive as we wanted. Typical dive length was a little over an hour with by mutual, if unspoken, agreement everyone coming up with 10 minutes of each other.
We were a well coordinated group dedicated to our surveying and the week passed smoothly and all too quickly.

Brian Dias, R.E.E.F.’s outreach and education director was trip leader and did an outstanding job with evening lectures on fish identification and general organization of the activities.

Usually mentioned within a breath of Bay Islands diving are the no-see-ums-invisible biting flies. The location of Deep Blue Resort on a spit of land in the Lower Lagoon gives them a steady breeze. I did use repellent, but I was hardly bitten at all. I did get some mosquito bites, though. Both repellent and insecticide sprays were supplied gratis in the rooms.

The real treat of the trip was Jasmine’s cooking. A triumph for breakfast, lunch and dinner! A special treat was the morning bacon—some of the best we’d ever had—hence our search for the bacon snapper.

Our tentative overall species number identified was 182. Highlight fish were a large eyed toad fish, Irish pompano, and a mushroom scorpion fish. We looked for a whale shark but none was to be had during our stay—peak time for these is in the spring. Deep Blue Resort carries out a whale shark research program in the spring during this time where researchers are invited in and divers can participate in the program. Highlight dive sites were Black Hills (literally an aquarium of fish on this little sea mound), Duppy Water and The Maze in Turtle Harbor. Shore diving at the resort is also available and was good as well.

Best endorsement for Deep Blue’s operation and Utila diving—I plan to go back in the spring.

Thanks for the report. Been working on a trip there for 9 months, leaving Saturday - can hardly wait!! :D

DandyDon:
Thanks for the report. Been working on a trip there for 9 months, leaving Saturday - can hardly wait!! :D

That's what Jaz told me! Hope you have as much fun as I did--I was very impressed with the diving!

Sounds like a great trip, I'm planning to go there in October if all goes well. Curious about your luggage getting lost, I too will be flying from Houston to SPS and then onward to Utila. I'm guessing they lost your luggage on the SPS/La Ceiba/Utila sector? Or did Continental lose them. Did Atlantic airways charge extra for scuba gear? I will bringing my Akona 144, curious as to how they will handle it?
Great report

tboxcar:
Sounds like a great trip, I'm planning to go there in October if all goes well. Curious about your luggage getting lost, I too will be flying from Houston to SPS and then onward to Utila. I'm guessing they lost your luggage on the SPS/La Ceiba/Utila sector? Or did Continental lose them. Did Atlantic airways charge extra for scuba gear? I will bringing my Akona 144, curious as to how they will handle it?
Great report

I have made about 16 trips to Roatan and I have NEVER had a problem with lost or misplaced bags. I have mostly travelled with TACA since they were almost the only game in town for quite a while.

I would strongly suggest that you use the non stop flights (Houston on Saturdays and Miami on Sundays or the new Conmtinental flights) rather than the ones through San Pedro Sula as that seems to be where the bags wander off. I believe it happens when they off load a large plane into a much smaller one and the bags do not get transferred over in time. They generally arrive on the next flight or certainly within a day or so. This can be a major inconvenience, especially if you are going to Utila or elsewhere after Roatan.

I hope this helps you.

DSDO

I have tried getting that Saturday flight direct to Roatan from Houston, but I'm using my miles and there is no economy left only first class and they want twice the amount of miles. Oh well, considering the amount I travel, I was on 19 different flights in Asia in the last 8 weeks and nothing was lost or damaged, many of the aircraft were so small we had to weigh ourselves and baggage first. My point is "I have been lucky" hope it stays that way. Thanks again

I'm guessing they lost your luggage on the SPS/La Ceiba/Utila sector? Or did Continental lose them. Did Atlantic airways charge extra for scuba gear? I will bringing my Akona 144, curious as to how they will handle it?

It was all lost in SPS. Continental did not lose any luggage. One couple came through El Salvador, the others were all coming from Chicago or Seattle, so all arrived at different times. Those of us who arrived earlier in the day (me, a guy from L.A., a couple from Detroit area) got our luggage with no problems. It was all the people with relatively late flight connections. I think the problem is not so much that the luggage was lost, but that the planes (DeHaviland Otters or something similar, not sure) don't have the cargo capacity to match their passenger capacity. So luggage sits in SPS, La Ceiba wherever until they can get enough cargo space to ship it. Continental to Roatan is good, but you still have to get to Utila. You might be able to take a flight from Roatan to Utila--not sure about that. You would still be in the same luggage/capacity loop though. Atlantic did not charge extra for any dive gear.

drdiver1952:
It was all lost in SPS. Continental did not lose any luggage. One couple came through El Salvador, the others were all coming from Chicago or Seattle, so all arrived at different times. Those of us who arrived earlier in the day (me, a guy from L.A., a couple from Detroit area) got our luggage with no problems. It was all the people with relatively late flight connections. I think the problem is not so much that the luggage was lost, but that the planes (DeHaviland Otters or something similar, not sure) don't have the cargo capacity to match their passenger capacity. So luggage sits in SPS, La Ceiba wherever until they can get enough cargo space to ship it. Continental to Roatan is good, but you still have to get to Utila. You might be able to take a flight from Roatan to Utila--not sure about that. You would still be in the same luggage/capacity loop though. Atlantic did not charge extra for any dive gear.
I was amazed this past week when all 19 of our group made it to Utila with all of their bags. There were certainly problems with Atlantic Air, tho, and I'm considering using the ferry from LaCeiba next time. Might not be a good idea, but after Atlantic Air - it's tempting.

Most of us flew Continental to Roatan (RTB) with the some of us arriving on the earlier flight, some on the later at 3pm. In my attempt to ensure that we all had ample time to connect after clearing customs and immigration - perhaps with baggage claims? - I charter a separate AtlAir plane to leave RTB 30 minutes later than the scheduled 4pm Saturday flight, and I also hoped this would assure that all 15 of us would see all of our bags loaded on our plane. INSTEAD, AtlAir just sent a larger plane in, and moved us up to that flight. It worked, but I was bothered that my business was not respected enough to deliver my plane as ordered and paid for in advance.

Most of left Utila by AtlAir for RTB, and for this I allowed Roatan Charters to simply book us on the scheduled 10am Saturday flight. This time, they sent the 20 seater I'd expected on RTB a week earlier, loaded most of us 14 and our bags along with 4 others, flew to RTB, then came back for the rest of us and our bags. At least on Utila you can see your bags come off or go on the plane, as you handle them yourselves. There was a large luggage cart with good wheels and full tires the first time to move the big bags away from the plane, but it was not available a week later on our departure.

Here are a few shots from the airport...

Utila Airport Luggage Delivery
7d23d578.jpg

Luggage conveyor system - all tires flat
b0fe5b7d.jpg

Runway security and gate agents
16e46341.jpg

Spacious Passenger Terminal
8b44b11a.jpg

Our flight arriving on Runway #1
9fbc0252.jpg

Getting to Utila is certainly part of the Adventure, but then - if I didn't want adventure travel, I guess I could have stayed home and watched TV. It worked out okay...

Don, I'm not sure if you are still in Utila or back home, hope you do 'nice trip report' for us when you get back. As I plan to be La Ceiba/Utila from Oct. 7th-21st.

Was talking to Eco-Marine/Gunters Dive shop, can anyone comment on their operation? Also if anyone is familiar with Colibri Hill Resort or Seaside Inn Hotel, these were places I was looking into staying at?

tboxcar:
Don, I'm not sure if you are still in Utila or back home, hope you do 'nice trip report' for us when you get back. As I plan to be La Ceiba/Utila from Oct. 7th-21st.

Was talking to Eco-Marine/Gunters Dive shop, can anyone comment on their operation? Also if anyone is familiar with Colibri Hill Resort or Seaside Inn Hotel, these were places I was looking into staying at?
Got back last night. I started a Group Trip Report here but left it pretty open. Would rather see comments from the rest of the group, which have started appearing.

I did tour Eco-Marine with "Tex" as he was the manager there until a week ago, when he started back at Deep Blue and worked with our group for our week. You will see him and his associates on the trip report, and his post as texinutila. He introduced me to the new manager, whom he speaks highly of, but I'd suggest Deep Blue Resort or Deep Blue Dive Shop - requesting Tex on my boat if possible. PM him as Texinutila and ask him for candid comments on the hotels you mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom