Diving without a depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hadn’t really thought about it, but yeah, I rely solely on my dive pc for depth and time. However, if I was going back to a wrist mount, I would probably use an analog SPG as a backup. That being said, if my pc failed mid dive, I’m conservative and would just end my dive.

Synchronicity at work again.
Just yesterday I was thinking of posting a similar question.
Recently gone AI, so my console is just permanently clipped off. My console includes a compass too, but so does my computer which I prefer. Now I'm thinking of changing to either just a SPG or a SPG/depth console, which I'm heavily leaning towards as at this time I think I would prefer to have the ability of being able to track my depth if my computer fails during a dive even though I would obviously be aborting. It just seems it would be easier/safer if I had it.
So, I was going to as for any recommendations for such a console. It would be nice if it has an easy way to be clipped off, since that's where it will live.

Synchronicity at work again.
Just yesterday I was thinking of posting a similar question.
Recently gone AI, so my console is just permanently clipped off. My console includes a compass too, but so does my computer which I prefer. Now I'm thinking of changing to either just a SPG or a SPG/depth console, which I'm heavily leaning towards as at this time I think I would prefer to have the ability of being able to track my depth if my computer fails during a dive even though I would obviously be aborting. It just seems it would be easier/safer if I had it.
So, I was going to as for any recommendations for such a console. It would be nice if it has an easy way to be clipped off, since that's where it will live.
This is where something like the deep 6 computer really shines (except the compass part) for the most part where I usually dive if my computer failed to send pressure readings I know so long as I stay under 80 minutes I’m good, if I’m traveling and the sender fails I abort and put the other transmitter on if it’s not a battery issue.

You know what @lexvil I'm glad you brought up the Deep 6 computer. I do intend on getting one for a back up, but really to be used on dive trips and not carried on my regular dives. However, it makes sense to just get a SPG and the Deep 6 even if I just make it quiet and stow in my pouch (I don't want to wear two computers on my wrist). Less clutter to clip off.

I carry a scubapro bottom timer as primary for depth and time. Most of the time I'll carry a second bottom timer for backup but I can't imagine it failing on me anytime soon. I think it's one of the most robust pieces of equipment I own.

My integrated depth gauge took a proverbial dive in Bonaire. No worries I had my computer. Of course my incredible dive partner and wife said " great.....Now you are getting new equipment ". As much as I love wearing out my my equipment and buying more I can't see a reason to replace this unit. Does anyone still use an integrated unit and a computer? Bill

I've never had a console. I use an SPG, a wrist mount compass, and a computer.

I've always had a console. When I got my computer, I just added it. Most of my dives don't require a computer and for those I just use the console. If I need the computer, I'll keep the redundancy of the console

Most consoles you can pop out the dead gauge. On my daughters console, I swapped out the original depth gauge for an inexpensive puck computer. I think replacing the gauge with a PDC would give you some redundancy for a very modest cost.

I use my computer if I need the depth, so usually I have no extra depth gauge.

Some of my vintage reg sets have a console with depth gauge on them, and I just make sure they read right in case I do want to use them in the future. Occasionally I’ll take along a wrist mount depth gauge for the same reason.

I just use my computer for a Depth gauge

Should my computer fail, I have a knot tied at 15’ on my SMB reel and I keep a gshock on my BC inflator hose so I can still do a safety stop

Back
Top Bottom