Diving Without certification...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not telling you to do it, but if you decide to go through with the dive, keep three things (that I was told when I learned to dive 45 years ago) in the forefront of your mind:

1. Never, NEVER, hold your breath when on compressed air. PERIOD.

2. Breathe normally at all times. Shallow breathing increases CO2 loading.

3. When ascending, come up slower than your slowest bubbles. If you're passing ANY of your bubbles, you're coming up too fast.

In addition, take your time. Go slow. Think about everything you're doing. If you begin to feel uncomfortable, stop. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to call the dive for any reason, even if it's before the dive even starts.

Why not take a few minutes to skim through the thread and see if the issue has been addressed beyond all reasonable levels of thoroughness before raising it as if it were a new issue?

I jumped ahead of the game, shouldn't have. My appologies.

I must have missed the part where his buddy was ignorant of Boyle's law in addition to the various flavors of Pneumothorax and gas embolism. Assuming his buddy judges that lmurtha1 accepts that holding his or her breath on ascent while using a breathing apparatus will cause a horrible death, the rest of the half hour basic course will go fine.
He stated his buddy did not know about lung expansion. It's a concept every diver should know, it's taught at the intro dive level & for certification, the specifics don't really matter.

I assumed the buddy that did not know about lung expansion was the same offering the dive, that may be incorrect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom