Diving Without certification...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess the level of instruction would be the deciding factor for me. Just because the one is an official certification class doesn't necessarily mean the instruction will be better. It might in fact be worse.

If these guys do in fact know their stuff and if they take the time to instruct you and explain the hazards, then I'd go for it. If on the other hand they just expect you to put on a bunch of loaner gear and jump in the water, I'd stay away, now and in the future.

Day after day we hear from students being misguided by certified instructors. How can we expect an OW candidate who hasn't even been to class 1 to recognize the competency of these friends.

SOP instruction has academics, confined water work then finally open water diving. How people respond to diving has a lot of variables. Instructors are trained to spot and mitigate those problems. Jumping to the end game may have unanticipated consequences.

Get certified first, the reef will wait.

Pete

In the very early days of scuba folks used to buy regulators and tanks at Western Auto. The clerk (scuba expert) would say don't hold your breath. That was your training. Very very good advice. Most likely saved many lives too.
The training is worth it. You will learn a ton of good stuff. One problem without being certified is that if a dive operation requires a C card to sign up on their charter or dive their quarry or whatever you would be out of luck.
When I was 10 a emptied out a Bernz-O-Matic tank, figured out how to refill it with air after flushing it over and over using my dad's air compressor that was an old referigeration compressor, took off the burner head replaced it with a hose and laid on the bottom of our pool with an onion bag full of wheel weights to keep me down.
Didn't know a thing about air expansion. God watches out for children and idiots. My dad wasn't all that happy. He explained the part about oil in the air and my lungs. Not sure if he knew about air expansion and lungs either. Fortunately I heeded his advice and waited till I was old enough to sneak off and take lessons. That's another interesting story too.
Best advice is to do it right and be safe.

In a related story, attempts to identify the member known as "vladimir" were fruitless, as it appears he registered with an anonymous email address using an alias. Inquiries continue to focus on a smog-bound Chinese fortress off the coast of Guangdong, however.

:rofl3:

Attempts to locate an "intensive training programme" were equally fruitless, despite persistent rumors that they existed at one time. :D

Haha, I was laughing myself when I wrote that, but without at least one completely erroneous statement about scuba it wouldn't seem like a real report, would it?

I truly regret not being educated PRIOR to my first few diving experiences. So much could have happened that I would not have been prepared for (qualified buddy or not) because I knew so little. Even the basics are helpful. Not recognizing the potential dangers of the situation I was putting myself in was careless. Understanding the dangers allows you to both respect and deal with them apropriately. Until we grow gills even 15' of water can be dangerous. Now when I am under water I am very relaxed but never forget I live on land.

Perhaps if you look at it in terms of gain/loss....

Gains: probably an anxiety filled afternoon in less than 20' of water. Time spent either shooting to the surface or sitting on the bottom, while trying to keep up with your buddy. :no:

losses: the most valuable thing you could lose....your life. the least valuable, see gains (above)

It doesn't seem, to me, to be worth it. Why not wait for instruction. Hopefully, with that instruction you will gain a small measure of comfort in knowing you did the right thing by waiting AND that this scuba-thing isn't quite as easy as it looks:wink:

So I'm talking with this guy and he has been diving for years, he said he wants to take me out to a shallow reef with his dive buddy that's 10-15 ft deep max. I kind of laughed and said I'm not certified yet and will be in a the next coming weeks. He said its ok, its too shallow and it will help me "get my feet wet" before I actually dip into the class. Now I'm a pretty decent swimmer, and do plenty of spearfishing free diving, but with scuba diving, its not as simple as throwing on your mask and fins and jump in..

Question: Do people really just strap on a bunch of gear on and jump in with no training and leave their life in the hands of a couple guys just to get their feet wet?! :shakehead: Even though it is shallow water, what are your guys thoughts on this?

Of course not. The first time I tried scuba, I went solo because there was only one set of gear and LDS was a typographical error. But that was a few years ago and times have changed.

So I'm talking with this guy and he has been diving for years, he said he wants to take me out to a shallow reef with his dive buddy that's 10-15 ft deep max. I kind of laughed and said I'm not certified yet and will be in a the next coming weeks. He said its ok, its too shallow and it will help me "get my feet wet" before I actually dip into the class. Now I'm a pretty decent swimmer, and do plenty of spearfishing free diving, but with scuba diving, its not as simple as throwing on your mask and fins and jump in..

Question: Do people really just strap on a bunch of gear on and jump in with no training and leave their life in the hands of a couple guys just to get their feet wet?! :shakehead: Even though it is shallow water, what are your guys thoughts on this?

I would say don't do it regardless what some here suggest (luckily more are in agreement with not doing it).

Sure many have done it before and lived to learn from their experience and mistakes. However those who tried and died are not here to tell you their experience.

You are risking your life above and beyond what I (perhaps some don't share the same opinion) deem worth while. Sure if everything goes well you will have cool experience to share at your class. But consider the fact that slight mistake can cost you life (just holding breath while trying to ascent from 15ft can cause lung over-expansion and you will be dead before any medical help arrives. However there is a bright side if you fail, students at your scheduled OW class will hear an example why you should get some training first before you just strap on your gear and go diving.

Wait and get training first. It is investment that can make difference between you having cool experience or ending up in a cooler awaiting autopsy.

At 15 ft, you are at less than one added atm of pressure, so if worse came to worse, you could dump the gear, and head to the surface, with very minimal risk of an over expansion injury.

At 15ft you are close to 1.5 ATA.

If at 15 ft he dumps his gear and bolts to the surface withholding breath he might end up dead due to lung over-expansion. Considering he did some free-diving the chances are he might revert to holding breath on his way up and that pretty much all but guarantees over-expansion injury.

I think your advice is a poor one and can cost someone his life or at least severe injury.

Sure we can find several examples of successful tries like that but many things we've learned about scuba is due to failures (and even deaths) of those who came before us.

Be patient, you have time do not push the envelope:confused:Yes you are in only 15ft of water. 1.5 ata but there still is a risk. Keep getting comfortable in the water, free diving, spear fishing, etc. Lets your agency certify you, and teach you the full in and out's :D

Yes they do unfortunately. I personally know at least one (now certified) that did. It looks easy and someone who generally doesn't follow rules will try to get you to dive b4 you are certified. Too many things can go wrong and without the proper training, the not certified diver may not have a clue how to handle it. Been told all my life you can drown in three inches of water, what might happen in 15 ft? Is it worth risking your life? Only you can decide.

Back
Top Bottom