Diving Without Depth/time only SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

99% of the time, no!

1% of the time, sure. If you are diving a site with absolutely known max depth and you are diving 1 tank a day (maybe more if it's really shallow... the point is to limit your total exposure) then I could see how you couldn't possibly hurt yourself. Some will suggest that diving above a certain depth ( say 33' ) has effectivly infinite NDL time. I don't really want to find out.

But this scenario is rare IMO. Just get a bottom timer or basic computer. They are cheap.

I've dived familiar sites without depth gauge/bottom timer before. I know those sites so well I can tell by looking around how deep I am, and know approximately how long a given dive profile will take.

No SPG is another matter ... I won't dive without one. The stakes for guessing wrong are just too high ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In a swimming pool.
There is no way to know for sure that you are truly within 33 ft without a depth gauge in open water.
Also, if you dive without some kind of timer, it is very difficult to judge how long 1 minute is in the case of a lost buddy.

two local dives are a small spring fed lake with a max depth of 25 feet and the river below it with a max depth of 15 feet. i need the spg only so i am at the right location at the end of the dive. otherwise, i would not be opposed to relying on my mk7 [honker] for necessary gas supply information. anyone see a real need, beyond curiosity, for detph and time information?

No SPG is another matter ... I won't dive without one. The stakes for guessing wrong are just too high ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I too, wouldn't dive without one.

But....Am I the only one here old enough to recall the pre-SPG days of the J-valve? :)

I meant that 1% of dive sites fit this bill. If one of those dive sites is in your back yard... well, YMMV.

I guess another thing you could do is tow a float on a reel with a max of 33' of line on it. Still... there's an easy solution for those other 99% dive sites. :)

Near anyone can come up with some site or pool (duh!) that would mitigate near all risk of diving with no depth & time device. The question was is it a safe practice. The answer is an obvious no.

Practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to end up leaving my computer or bottom timer at home because I am not used to taking it with me. Also, I don't see any real advantage to not having it. If you think the little computer not being on your arm is going to make a tangible difference to your streamlining, then I think you're FOS.

That's weird? I wonder why we all don't crawl seeing as we practiced it so much as babies.. and I'm not even going to touch hop skip and jump.

A safe practice would need some sort of defining parameters. Is it safe practice to dive with an Al 80? Well, not to 200' it isn't.

I agree with some others. Sometimes a site allows a reduction in instrumentation. At a lake I dive frequently the slope topography indicates depth, as does light penetration. The cold indicates time and my J valve indicates volume. I also run out of air (with my tank) before NDL. But there are a lot of caveats contained in there and I wouldn't recommend this to a new diver just looking to get out and dive without access to gear.

I agree with James on this 100%. There is a spot I try to dive at least once a week-very shallow, 10-15 feet. It does get deeper but the area I stay in is well defined. I just go there for my alone time. I could easily go there with out my bottom timer, no computer, really no spg...but why? When packing I go through a check list, when I suit up I go through a check list...why would I start changing things up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom