DIY Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kinetic

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All
I heard a lot of backplates/wing system from this great forum and I hope someone can help me on this: I'm thinking of DIY my backplate, does anyone has the experience and the dimensions to share? Thanks.

Are you sure you want to do that? A FredT aluminum BP is only $51. You'll spend way more than that in supplies, sweat and aggrivation before you're through!

Just my 2¢

.....in my browsing I remember seeing a drawing for cutting and bending your own plate. (try a search. If I found it by accident you can too.)

I agree with Dee,
for the $ involved it would be a whole lot easier to buy one.

Thanks Dee & Tavi for your help. I'm from Singapore and shipping those stuff here may cost. Anyway, i may have the machinery to do and cut my costs. BTW Tavi, i tried searching in the board but couldn't find those, could you help me point to the correct direction. thanks again.

I remembered seeing the link. (If it's the same one) Here it is. Scuba Do It Yourself
On their homepage, click on the link for "Other People's Projects", then "Plans of Alex Deas". Don't know if this'll help; schematics mean nothing to me. I wouldn't have a clue how to make a bp, even with the proper equipment and plans. Good luck.

I also would like to know some options for building your own backplate. I have access to all the materials and machinery, but lack the detailed drawings. I checked out the scuba do-it-yourself site but had trouble with it and did not like the particular plans.

So if any one would have detailed plans that would be helpful.
Thanks

thanks guys for your help. i'm currently trying to cut my own plates for the kick of it. could anyone help by PM me the dimensions especially the slots in the plates (particularly the slots for tank straps with the new pioneer wings with "intergrated" STA)? thanks!

thanks nick, great diagrams, now i'm more confident in going ahead. By the way, do you any idea where should i cut the slots for the tank straps ( for the new pioneer wings). thanks again.

I'm not sure of the figures. You can glean quite a lot from pictures on OEM websites. Some of the pics are quite detailed and you can take measurements and scale them. A sneaky trip to your LDS with a tape-measure will help too :).

You could buy the wing first (unless you are planning to make that too... how hard can it be?). That said I did build my first backplate without a wing while I waited for one to turn up 2nd hand.

I'm just about to make a special compact travel backplate for singles diving while travelling. Don't be afraid to deviate form the plans as long as you are happy it is safe.

Again, Best of luck
nick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom