DIY Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick,

Looks like your harness isn't correctly setup on the BP. Very difficult to tell from the picture but I think you've gone in the top slots from the front rather than taking them over the back of the plate then down into the top slots, back through at the angled slots and then across the back.

Look on the WKPP web site for their diagram of how the webbing should be done or look on www.gasdiving.co.uk.

How's it been diving so far?

Hope this helps - Dave.

No siree... found out it is pumping out 8~9 million gpd of primary effluent from the local paper mill...

A little investigation turned up that unsettling figure...

I am pursuing this with DOE.... the mill fella called me back and acted like it was nothing anyone should be concerned about.

Its a dive rite harness it's actuly 3 pieces (I know I bought it before I knew better) but I did have the bottom slots wrong when i took the pic. When I went to a not so local LDS I asked if
the sold backplate harness? They handed me a sealed plastic bag
with a bunch of 2" strap and all the D-rings I needed. Oh yea it had the crotch strap too!I paid 60$ for it and went home that's
where I found out it was a 3 piece strap! the top strap has a big brass grommet in it for the top bolt to go through. thats why it
isnt using the angled slots. I think it will work fine?

what do you's think
Rick L

Pugster - you shouldn't sound so suprised that I'm right!

Rick - the brass gromet should do the trick, just make sure that the staps can't come off of the thing. I can remember looking at using my old ScubaPro BCD straps on my Back Plate but they were only held in by pins that sat in a groove on the BCD's plastic plate.

Later - Dave.

PS Pug// Have ordered the DiveRite Classic wing for my rig, should get it in a few weeks so I'll let you know how it dives.

I wasn't surprised that you were right...
I was surprised that I missed it...
Come to think of it... I shouldn't have been surprised by that either :D

Rick... webbing is cheap dude. Buy 12~13' from FredT and rig it with one piece using the hardware.

Well I used my bp-wing setup:thumb:
I did 4 dives yesterday I started with 5lbs less weight than usual.
I felt like a skydiver going down still had to much weight.
I found it a lot easier to control my buoyancy!
I was surprised having the octo around my neck didn't bother me! I thought it would be in the way there but it was like it wasn't there!! 2nd dive i took off 4 more lbs. and ditched the dive rite chest strap! The only problems I had was putting to much air
in at the surface(it was pushing me down face first )But I just let some air out and it was fine. Oh yea and my console has to go It seemed like it was allways in the way! what is the best way to let air out of the bc? I could only get it out by putting my body vertical and letting the air out of my inflator. I think that may have something to do with the velcro holder on my inflator hose?
All i all it was a great first test dives. I felt comfortable even having dove with the same jacket style bcs for the past 15 years.
I was so unsure of this setup that i had brought my regular bc and the tools too change the reg around. I wont be doing that next time :) After diving I went home ate lobsters and floated around in the pool :confined: Anouther great new england diving day!!!!
Rick L

Dumping: you need to put a small loop of 1/8" (or smaller) bungee at the left shoulder D-ring to keep the inflator hose down but also to allow you to lift it up to dump... You don't lift it way up over your head while vertical... at least with the Halcyon wing.... you just lift it enough that it is above the level of your shoulder when you are horizontal... the amount of air that comes out is the correct amount.

I'm glad that you are happy with the bp/wing set up... but I hope you will still get some webbing and do the harness up proper. :D

You guys on the east coast... lobster... shoot all we can get around here is Dungeness or Rock crabs.

Rick L once bubbled...
Well I used my bp-wing setup:thumb:
I did 4 dives yesterday I started with 5lbs less weight than usual.
I felt like a skydiver going down still had to much weight.
I found it a lot easier to control my buoyancy!
I was surprised having the octo around my neck didn't bother me! I thought it would be in the way there but it was like it wasn't there!! 2nd dive i took off 4 more lbs. and ditched the dive rite chest strap! The only problems I had was putting to much air
in at the surface(it was pushing me down face first )But I just let some air out and it was fine.

A weighted STA or thick plate will address the face down issue nicely.

The chest strap really is superfluous, isnt it?

Scott

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
[
You guys on the east coast... lobster... shoot all we can get around here is Dungeness or Rock crabs. [/B]

They can have all that rubbery old lobster, I'll take dungies any day! Plus, we have some of the finest oysters on earth over here.

Not to mention the king salmon, halibut, and rainbow trout...

Scott

Back
Top Bottom