DIY Canisters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how much for the 10w HIDs?

Due to the cost of the HID bulb/ballast, I suspect they'll be close to $600. I have not sat down and calculated exactly, but I think that will be close.
Thanks

Developing project!!!
Here is one of the 12W HIDs from Brightstar. I did a quick fire on it and boy, this thing is nice... Now, there are some negatives, like them not being as sturdy as LED, no hot striking and whatever... but very NICE. I'll try to get some beamshots.

Nothing like HID when you want to penetrate murky water. I'm still trying to get prices on 24 and 35W units.

Now these will be more because:
a. Requires a 12+ V supply, more batteries. I think I'll shoot for 14.8V. This means 8 18650 for 4-5 hours and 12 for about another 2 hours.
b. These are about 10 times the price of the LED... No, they don't produce 10x the light, but it is a really nice light.

So, based on what I have done, the price for the 2 prototype 12W LED will be $600 each includes PP and shipp in the US. I think these will definitely make it into the full production line...

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00160.JPG
    DSC00160.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 161
I am watching this thread like a hawk. Can I make one suggestion...Perhaps you could make a single post that summarizes the various setups (bulb, battery, etc) and the proposed prices. It's been about a week since I last read through all the posts and I have to go back through and re-read everything to figure out what light you are working on. Just figure it might help those of us that are interested. You seem to be doing fantastic work.

OK, I will do it tonight... I am looking into getting these CNC machined, so I'm pretty sure there will be a price increase once that happens... May happen after the 12 I am working on are gone.

While I am busy making requests, is there anyway to make a sealed battery compartment? the new Hollis light appears to use a pretty simple design. DRIS has a video review of that light that shows how the sealed compartment and internal plugs work. Just a thought. Thanks again.

Ok, so I forgot to come back to this last night... Here is what is in the works:
Light 1- 12W LED/direct drive SSC P7/3.7v 14,000 mah+/- - $450
Light 2- 10W LED/Buck Puck Driver Cree MCE/14.8V 5000mah +/- - $550
Light 3- 12W HID/14.8V 5000mah+/- - $600

Higher powered LEDs are being researched, however, at this time, I am on hold for proper reflectors.

While I am busy making requests, is there anyway to make a sealed battery compartment? the new Hollis light appears to use a pretty simple design. DRIS has a video review of that light that shows how the sealed compartment and internal plugs work. Just a thought. Thanks again.

There is a way to do a sealed battery compartment... One of my goals is to keep prices low so that people that don't want to pay $1000 for a canister light don't have to. Otherwise, why would you buy form me?

One negative about the sealed compartment is that, depending on how it's done, you may need to send the light in for any battery repairs/replacement. With the open can, you can always go find some 18650 batteries on Ebay and build a pack.

Is there a calculation for estimating lumens? I know the lumens claimed my manufacturers is subjective. What is the best way to compare the usable light output of the lights you are producing. Sorry if I sound like a new-b, I am when it comes to lights. Just trying to get a feel for how each of these lights compares to with the lights produced by other manufacturers. Thanks!

You can buy a luminoscity meter and such, but I don't have one... At least not yet.
The 12W HID manufacturer claims 550 lumens..
The 12W LED manufacturer claims 600-900....
The 10W LED claims 700.

There is more to it than just lumens, though... If I was to choose just based on quality of light and don't take into account anything else #1 would be HID..
If you start thinking durability, price, reliability that's when you think LED. It's just what you want to do.
I have Salvo 24W LED and mine puts out less light... Is it $500 less light? Absolutely not!

A gentleman wrote a review on cavdiver.net about my light. You can look at the thread there under the gear for sale section if you want further details.
Thanks

Oh, BTW, that Hollis is $900.... Mine-$450.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom