DIY Canisters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, BTW, that Hollis is $900.... Mine-$450.

I hope you weren't thinking I was complaining or knocking yours. Quite the contrary, I am thrilled with what you're doing. I was simply wondering about the feasibility of the sealed compartment since that seems the be the trend in lights.

The Lumens question was more of a "help me compare" question. Your lights represent a significant value. Being able to compare them to other lights on the market further supports that. Since all the manufacturers throw Lumens around, that seems like a way of comparing lights. Beyond lumens, the rest of the numbers don't mean much because each light can take a given voltage and make more or less light from that voltage based on other factors.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work. I am still going to be watching (impatiently I might add). I have the DR 700 Lumen light and I want to make sure that when I replace it, I do so with something that blows it out of the water. Thanks.

I hope you weren't thinking I was complaining or knocking yours. Quite the contrary, I am thrilled with what you're doing. I was simply wondering about the feasibility of the sealed compartment since that seems the be the trend in lights.

The Lumens question was more of a "help me compare" question. Your lights represent a significant value. Being able to compare them to other lights on the market further supports that. Since all the manufacturers throw Lumens around, that seems like a way of comparing lights. Beyond lumens, the rest of the numbers don't mean much because each light can take a given voltage and make more or less light from that voltage based on other factors.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work. I am still going to be watching (impatiently I might add). I have the DR 700 Lumen light and I want to make sure that when I replace it, I do so with something that blows it out of the water. Thanks.

No offense taken. I just wanted to present the facts. I don't think anyone would spend $1000 for one of my lights when they can have a commercial one for that. I'm just here for the little guys... lol!

13 heads are getting threaded at this time... Threads will be done next week followed by anodizing.
There will be 8 12W LED SSCP7
Two Cree MCE units (already deposits placed on these)
2 Video heads for the SSC-90 LED already spoken for...
Oh, and 3, 10W HID heads. One head is spoken for and 2 will be sold as complete units.
Thanks

Here is a question for everyone...

NiMH or Li-ion?

My needs... Let me see how good I can break this down. Li-ion battery pack 7.4vdc 10400mah. That is 8 batteries with a total price of $70.00 and the length would be about 5.5" ---- or ---- 7.4vdc 8800mah Li-ion pack same size as the last one because the batteries have less capacity, cost = 50.00 ---- or ---- a battery pack made from 12, 4/3A NiMH batteries. This pack would be 7.2vdc 8400mah, but would be about 8" long, cost = 40.

So the 2nd and 3rd battery pack are close in specs with the li-ion costing more but having a little bit more capacity. The first battery pack has the highest price, but also the greatest capacity by about an hour more of burn time.

Canister is not built yet and can be made any size, but 1st, and 2nd battery pack will yield an overall canister length of about 7.5", and the 3rd battery pack yielding an overall length of about 10"

What do you think would be my best option here? I am prepared to buy the most expensive Li-ion pack but thinking that for just a little more money, I can have 2 of the NiMH packs instead of 1 of the Li-ion, but larger canister, more weight, and ultimately less underwater usage time.

*note - I am not trying to turn this into a Li-ion vs. NiMH comparison thread, or hijack this thread. There are plenty of those out there; I just want to know what people think the best choice is for the real world. And I thought others might want to read opinions as well. So please, if you don't have an educated and beneficial answer to add, please don't mess up this already great thread.

Here is a question for everyone...

NiMH or Li-ion?

My needs... Let me see how good I can break this down. Li-ion battery pack 7.4vdc 10400mah. That is 8 batteries with a total price of $70.00 and the length would be about 5.5" ---- or ---- 7.4vdc 8800mah Li-ion pack same size as the last one because the batteries have less capacity, cost = 50.00 ---- or ---- a battery pack made from 12, 4/3A NiMH batteries. This pack would be 7.2vdc 8400mah, but would be about 8" long, cost = 40.

So the 2nd and 3rd battery pack are close in specs with the li-ion costing more but having a little bit more capacity. The first battery pack has the highest price, but also the greatest capacity by about an hour more of burn time.

Canister is not built yet and can be made any size, but 1st, and 2nd battery pack will yield an overall canister length of about 7.5", and the 3rd battery pack yielding an overall length of about 10"

What do you think would be my best option here? I am prepared to buy the most expensive Li-ion pack but thinking that for just a little more money, I can have 2 of the NiMH packs instead of 1 of the Li-ion, but larger canister, more weight, and ultimately less underwater usage time.

*note - I am not trying to turn this into a Li-ion vs. NiMH comparison thread, or hijack this thread. There are plenty of those out there; I just want to know what people think the best choice is for the real world. And I thought others might want to read opinions as well. So please, if you don't have an educated and beneficial answer to add, please don't mess up this already great thread.

LiIon = less maintenance. Don't have to cycle it. I have tested a LiIon pack three times and gotten almost exact results.
NiMH- I tested three times and started really low and got better and better until it reached best.
I like LiIon- small and consistent. Plus, you can put 8 of those easily in my base canister. NiMH being larger = more machining = more $$$ for can.

BTW,look on Ebay and Dealextreme.com for batteries.

CNC prototype is in the HOUSE!!!
OK, guys, here is a prototype done for me by my CNC guy. Please let me know what you guys think... I think I like it and will become my "signature" look...

Questions:
Is the Bolt Snap mounting point on the back of the light head that big of a deal? I for one am willing to live without it, but don't know about others. Need to please as many people as possible here... Don't wanna lose business due to a small adder.

These will be hard coat anodized and awesome.

Attachments

• DSC00161.JPG
    DSC00161.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC00164.JPG
    DSC00164.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 160
Can't the bolt snap be connected to the goodman handle?

I am still waiting on one to blow my DR 700 Lumen light out of the water. A 21 Watt HID (or something similar) would be cool. I keep checking this thread for updates!

I am still waiting on one to blow my DR 700 Lumen light out of the water. A 21 Watt HID (or something similar) would be cool. I keep checking this thread for updates!

I know... I'm still wanting that as well. I am waiting for some reflectors AND some time to play with a couple of LEDs I have... You guys and the guys from cavediver.net are keeping me busy. I have 5 lights on order I am working on and a light head, plus a bunch of time is being spent with the guy doing my first CNC run of canisters and heads!!! These are going to be really nice and best of all consistent in fit.
The first 20 will be the Cree MCE LED based system and will go for $600 for can (with internal cover on the lid, something new I am trying!), battery, charger, head.
Thanks for everyone's support so far!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom