DIY - how to convert a Basic Harness to Deluxe Harness ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you have to have a heavy duty industrial sewing machine to do it properly. Technically you can just cut it and use slide locks on both sides, but you really have to sew it on to get it to work properly.

thanks

i just want to add the shoulder buckle to make it easy to put on. i guess i can jast cut and put the buckle, what do you think ?

That should work.

However, I'm not sure you need that either. I was also a bit reluctant to switch to a whole harness with just one buckle on the waistband, but after dialing in the harness, it really isn't that difficult to don and doff the rig. Even with dryglove rings and a DS shoulder dump valve. Learn to "chicken wing" your arm as you slip it out of the shoulder strap.

You could put a Fastex buckle on the webbing without cutting it, so when you come to your senses..............

Raw Webbing

You’ve hit on one of my favorite topics. In my opinion, it’s better to buy raw webbing and make your own BP straps, rather than buy off-the-shelf. With a little thought and practice, you can come up with some really neat customizations.

All the raw materials can be bought inexpensively on line. I use a local shoe and luggage repair shop to do the heavy duty box stitching. I prep the straps and hardware first with simple quick stitches so everything remains in the correct configuration, then the shop lays in the box-stitches.

As an alternative you can use 8-32 bolts and lock nuts instead of stitching. A very clever diver turned me onto this idea. At first this sounds a little crazy, but it actually has some advantages. For instance, if you’re at a remote location and you break a quick release or buckle, you can fix it in about ten minutes if you have a spare and a couple tools. I’ve used bolts on one of my BPs and so far they’ve worked great, although some people may not like the utilitarian “look” of the bolts.

IMG_2398-2.jpg

On another point, I like having a quick release. I installed one on the port shoulder of my light-duty travel BP. After putting about twenty dives on it, I am very happy with the modification, and can report having no problems.

Nays

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom