BP/W Harness Advice for Ten Year old Girl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeb

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was hoping for some advice on dive gear for girls...

I am buying a short BP from Subgravity for my 10 year old daughter (she is 4'9"), and I am trying to decide on a harness.

I can't decide between the Dive Rite Basic Harness, or the Dive Rite Deluxe harness. I've looked through old threads but keep reading conflicting opinions on which is best for a girl's frame. Some women say they prefer the shoulder pivot rings for the harness, others not so much. I am sure it is all frame dependent

When they were just $20, I would have bought both. But at $50 or $70, I only want to buy once if I can!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

If you decide to go basic, I'd suggest: Piranha - Hogarthian Harness (Dir) for Backplates

At least you can get colored webbing and a crotch strap for your $50. I built my and my son's BP/W with this harness. The only thing it's missing is a couple of EPDM bands (or inner tube sections) to help keep lights clipped to the shoulder d-rings under control.

If you want soft webbing, go with the Halcyon webbing. More expensive but comfy. Plus they have pink Hs, if pink is important to her!

I used the Dive Rite Deluxe harness for a while - it’s the one with the quick release above the left shoulder D rings. I liked it. I use a Dive Rite Transplate on my CCR now.

I have the dive-rite basic harness. I was a bit nervous about the whole Hogarthian harness idea, but it works fine (looser shoulder straps and a crotch strap to tighten everything up). Compared to the generic webbing from the LDS, the basic harness is softer. I realize that is not that helpful... Also I am not 10 years old, so my idea of soft might be different (I could well be wimpier).

Was hoping for some advice on dive gear for girls...

I am buying a short BP from Subgravity for my 10 year old daughter (she is 4'9"), and I am trying to decide on a harness.

I can't decide between the Dive Rite Basic Harness, or the Dive Rite Deluxe harness. I've looked through old threads but keep reading conflicting opinions on which is best for a girl's frame. Some women say they prefer the shoulder pivot rings for the harness, others not so much. I am sure it is all frame dependent

When they were just $20, I would have bought both. But at $50 or $70, I only want to buy once if I can!

Any advice would be much appreciated.
We all have different ideas on everything. If you do not want to spend any unnecessary money then you ought to keep it super simple.
I have been using simple basic harness for many yrs. "Deluxe" has no meaning for me.

When my daughter was 10 I did the exactvsame thing. She is now 16 with 70 hrs of bottomtime and is still diving the exact same rig. its brillant, because all we have had to do was adjust the harness. She uses the Halcyon webbing ( at the time becausd it was "pretty") She wears either a rash gaurd ( tropics) or her dry suit and has never complianed about it being uncomfortable...ever!! As reference she is 16 now, 5' 10" 105 pounds ( when she is soaking wet lol) A diifernt body shape may like the deluxe harness...but im guessing at ten let her choose pretty webbing...and your good to go!!

So I remembered I had an old basic harness lying around. I rigged it with the small plate from Subgravity (which is solid quality by the way), and the singles wing from DGX. It looks good, and it fit my daughter well (she liked it!). The webbing is stiff, so I think once she has dived it a few times it will soften up a bit. As for the fit, the basic harness seemed to fit her frame really well. The straps went over her shoulder and then straight back under her arms towards the back plate.

We are getting in the pool on Sunday to try it out.

My 12 YO girl did her confined dives using the shops smallest BC, which was much too large and made the entire experience challenging. I put her in my XR BP/W for additional pool training before her OW dives and she loves it. This also required me to get a new Transpac for myself, sacrifices, I know.

She will be able to use this setup for the rest of her life if she wants. The overall weight of the system and reduced lead she has to carry are other big benefits.

I highly recommend getting a BP/W for kids.

My 12 YO girl did her confined dives using the shops smallest BC, which was much too large and made the entire experience challenging.
That was my fear, that she would struggle during class and not enjoy it. I'm hoping she loves a single tank BP/W setup as much as I do!

Mine loves her bp\w so im guessing yiur daughter will too!! Enjoy....its been amazing diving with her!! I love every minute of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom