DIY Regulator Maintenance Discussion: MARES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eBay. There are usually several sellers. Check the regulator category. Or...I'll see what I can do for making a post for the MR22 if no one else wants to.

MR22 1st stage...

Ok so according to the MARES manual that I have, the appropriate Service kit for the MR22 1st stage(yoke version) is part #46185167 which includes the following parts...

46185015 Snap ring Int. D. 13
46185038 Backup ring
46110401 OR 2012 Viton 006-9707
46110402 OR 106 Viton 610-9707
46186202 Tapered sintered filter
46110404 OR 108 Viton 611-9754
46110413 OR 2050 Viton 014-9707
46110403 OR 2031 Viton 011-9707

Most are O-rings and I put their actual sizes in bold. If you need better explanations of these sizes look at some of the earlier posts in this thread. The other items I list with some details, see below.

46186202 "Tapered sintered filter" This is the same filter used in the MARES V16 1st stage. Aqualung uses an identical filter in their 1st stage kits for some regs with conical filters like the Calypso..the AL part number is 106839. I was also able to source these from Trident as Part # A197 Flat top filter 12mm H x
10.8mm W. They were cheap and if you have a shop that will sell you trident parts then they are easy to get. I would like to find a source for them outside of SCUBA suppliers as I know they can be found cheaper that way but I haven't found one yet, or really even looked very hard. Anyone have a lead on a non SCUBA supplier for them?

46185015 "Retaining Ring" 1EA
This item is also the same as the Aqualung/US Divers Part # 863051 and is basically just an HO type Internal SS Snap ring. It is easily available from McMaster Carr as part # 91580A151
http://www.mcmaster.com/#internal-snap-rings/=ad8k8p

46185038 "Back-up ring" 1EA
This item is a simple PFTE split Back-up ring for AS568A O-Ring size 005. You can easily get this from McMaster Carr as well as Part # 9560K31. The strange thing is that this backs up a size -006 O-Ring in the MARES reg, but they do use the -005 back up ring. They use it becasue it works and it fits. Pictures of the OEM kit part and the McMaster part that I call for side by side and one on top of the other.

100_3114.jpg

100_3115.jpg

Afishianado,

Thanks again for putting this information together. It is much appreciated and very helpful!!

Best wishes.

Thanks. That is a huge help. I will post up pictures and my lessons learned when I do my rebuild.

Last edited:
Trying to source the 610 and the 611 o-rings. I saw on your earlier post that they are british extended series and you sourced them from seal jet of ohio, but I didn't see them on there web page. Based on the manual I DLed from frogkick these are the LP port o-rings (610) and the HP port o-rings (611). I may see if the LDS will sell me these o-ring. All the others I found at o-ring usa, which seems to sell in smaller quantities then mcmaster carr (lots of 100).

If all else fail, you may want to try straight 2-010 & 2-011.

O-rings are pretty easy going animals, and sometimes you can get away with 1 size up or down. In these particular cases, it's more like 1/2 size: 2-610 is 6.75x1.78mm, and 2-010 is 6.07x1.78.

Besides, HP & LP o-rings don't need frequent replacement.

Zung got ahead of me, but if you are looking for orings for the hp/lp hoses or hp/lp plugs, go for the easily found 2-011 and 2-010 respectively. That's what I use regardless of reg brand. My thinking when doing this is that I do not use brand specific hp or lp hoses. The same lp hose that fits my scuba pros also fit my sherwoods, zeagle, aqualung, etc. They all use the same oring. Why should I start worrying about getting a hard to find size when the easily available 2-010 works great.

Thanks guys, that makes my life a little easier.

Trying to source the 610 and the 611 o-rings. I saw on your earlier post that they are british extended series and you sourced them from seal jet of ohio, but I didn't see them on there web page. Based on the manual I DLed from frogkick these are the LP port o-rings (610) and the HP port o-rings (611). I may see if the LDS will sell me these o-ring. All the others I found at o-ring usa, which seems to sell in smaller quantities then mcmaster carr (lots of 100).

You have to call or email them to get these sizes from seal jet but they do sell them. I also had good luck with a company in Europe called simply bearings for the BS sizes and the shipping was stupid cheap.

Buy Viton O Rings Online - Quality O-Rings - Simply Bearings Ltd

Or...you could use the alternate sizes that the guys have mentioned above.

Or...I have plenty, I am willing to trade if anyone has the scuba pro 363 balanced 2nd stage poppett O-rings (
2.2 x 1mm)

~Chris

Thanks again Chris. Next time I'm near Hillsborough, NC I'll trade you a beer for all of this regulator maintenance you have provided.

Back
Top Bottom