DIY Rust Proof

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mig_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I recently got one of those underwater rattle things and have taken it on a few dives now and it is starting to rust at the top where it is welded.

Is there any way to prevent rust? I have seen previous threads that recommend silicone grease and oil but with both of those I would constantly have to re-apply. I was thinking about just painting it. Would that work? Would I need to use a special marine grade paint?

yeah, marine grade paint would probably work, but do you really want to buy a $40 can of paint for a $20 rattle? You might try coating it with some aquaseal or shoe goo (same stuff) wouldn't be very pretty and probably wouldn't last more than a few dives, but would probably be cheaper, since odds are you probably have it lying around the house, and less work than re-applying silicone grease. Another option might be that rubber coating dip you buy at the hardware store to dip glove tips in, or tool handles. Pour some of that on there to coat it and make a seal. Another cheap temporary option would be to coat in silicon caulking. My last, but best idea? Coat it with 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant. That would would do it for sure. I've repaired BC's with that stuff and it holds up really really well, much better than aquaseal but slightly more toxic. :)

How about a cold zinc spray paint? It is only $4 from the Local HW stores... Or you can use a clear coat spray. It also lasts a while based on my experience.

get the rust off with fine sand paper or steel wool. hit it with zinc primer, let it dry. top coat with rustoleam. no problems. you could by a can of POR-15 also. Not expensive, can be used on many projects, rusting is almost impossible.

Back
Top Bottom