DIY sex bolts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK folks, I just bought a Dive Rite SS BP and Oxycheq wing and I was/am too cheap buy sex bolts unless I place a big enough order to cover the shipping. I need a DIY solution to this. I went to No-Help Home Depot and could not find anything that would work. This doesn’t mean HD doesn’t have what I need, I just could not find anything. My first choice for material would be nylon, but I’ll consider anything.

Thanks,

Couv

Check hardware stores,arts and crafts or marine supply stores. I've found them in all three types of shop. "book screws" is the term most often used.

Oh, and of course dive shops, but I assume you've already tried that, LOL.

SL….I try to stay out of dive shops. J

At any rate, would you happen to know the sizes of the book screws, the nearest I can guesstimate, is approx ¾” long, 5/16” diameter.

c

These? Most hardware stores have them: T nuts

Also called "furniture" screws. Lowe's does have them.

I have a set of the SS sex bolts but don't care for them. I found some plastic ones I prefer, but I don't remember where I got them. Seems to me I have seen plastic connectors at HD that would work in a conventional plate with the channel. You just need a large enough head to hold the wing. Another source might be an auto parts store. They have a myriad of plastic connectors that should do the job.

On one of my homemade plates (no channel but 1/4 inch Al), I simply threaded the two holes and use a nylon screw and large diameter plastic washer (from HD) to hold the wing in place. With the channel, you can use nylon nut in stead of the threaded hole.

SS Bolts are not required to hold a wing in place. The tank cam straps will. Some use cable ties instead of assembly screws. I use SS wingnuts and lockwasher to attach STA with my DR SS BP and Oxycheq wing.

These? Most hardware stores have them: T nuts

right! "t-nuts" in the marine centers as well. "book screws" in the craft and office supply stores was my experience.

Not sure who you were trying to buy them from but sometimes if call and ask they will "just drop them in a small enveloped" and just charge you a few bucks for postage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom