DM guide vs. random buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You say that you hire a DM in your area - if it is your area maybe it would be worth getting to know some divers and be familiar with them. See if there is some form of a Dive Club.

I got certified by an agency but learned how to dive with a club. Individuals with multiple levels of experience showed me the way and now (sometimes) I get to pass on the few skills that I have picked up.

Best of luck.

I think this is a great discussion, with excellent points on both sides. There are advantages to having a dive master familiar with local sites and conditions and wildlife, but as Jim and others point out, not all dive masters are equal in skills or in attitude. I have worked as a private DM for couples who wanted to do their own thing in Hawaii, but never as a "hired buddy." Also, an "insta-buddy" on a guided dive may be more acceptable than an insta-buddy on an unguided dive. I have dove in the past with insta-buddies, and before the dive I take time to learn about them and their skill level and get expectations, communications and the like clear between us. It's a little easier every time, but never as good as a familiar buddy. As I consider the question, I guess the best answer is to have one or more competent buddies to dive with. I know once my wife started diving I had a much better time than when I had to find a buddy on dive trips. Then my friend Charlie came along and when Debbie is not up for a trip, Charlie always is. If you don't have a couple good dive buddies, my suggestion is to find some. Get connected with a local dive club or shop. There are a lot of people looking for the chance to go diving, whether locally on or an destination trip.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom