DM guide vs. random buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EastCoastWreckDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I think it happens often that when we go out to dive we do not always have a buddy with us to share our expierence when we go under. That being said I wonder how many people would perfer a DM guide whenever they do not have a familiar buddy with them. A guide in my area ranges from 20-40 dollars for a full day charter. When you rent this guide you are not only getting an expierenced diver familiar with the area but also a self sufficient buddy to go with to make for a longer, more interesting diving experience. Without a buddy it often comes down to random matching when you get on the boat, you raise your hand and you get matched up with someone you do not know, this includes their expierence diving, their air consumption speed, and their own general safety. Also get matched up with a photographer and you can best bet they are not focused as much as being your buddy then as taking pictures. So in my opinion I always like to have a DM come with me to be my buddy because im more confident in their abilities than some random person that I get to know for an hour until we decend downwards of up to 125 ft. Do others share my opinion on this or are you one to just go with it and get matched up with anyone on the dive boat?

I will take the DM guide who knows the area/dive site over an insta-buddy any day on a dive site that I am personally not familiar with. I don't like rolling the dice with dive buddies because I have been burned in the past. Truth be told, I have also lucked out and had some amazing dive buddies too.

I like stacking the deck by making friends on here and then after hitting the local lakes a few times bring them out onto the boat with me as my regular buddy.

There's now way I'd go to 125' in the mid atlantic with an instabuddy. Diving with DM's? Not something I typically do unless local laws require it.

Most dive boating I have done require a dive buddy to go with you on the dive or no diving on their boat, so insta buddy or hire a dm is the question, I prefer solo diving because I like to take everything in on my own time and relax, but having to have a buddy im going with the DM even if it does cost as much as two nitrox 100's

Well, if you are a qualified solo diver, then I'd think you shouldn't really care about this question. The more likely question would be which are you more likely to have to rescue. The instabuddy or the possible zero to hero DM?

I like local naturalist guides. I do not especially need or want a "DM".

If you want one for your personal use, hire one, like you said.

Many people believe that when they go on a charter (especially outside of the US), and they see that there are DM's along for the dive... Then they jump to the conclusion that this DM will be trained in some fashion, certified, or actually watch over them as their duty.

Big mistake.

I guess I'm lucky. I've never had to pay somebody to dive with me. When I have traveled alone (or even when my husband and I have traveled together to someplace new to both of us) I usually get on the many scuba bulletin boards I frequent, and I've been very successful in scaring up a dive buddy who knows the local sites and conditions. I've made some wonderful friends that way.

So most of you would rather dive alone in an area you are not familiar with rather than with somebody who is for sure rescue trained, knows the conditions, the spot and probably has a decent amount of experience? Thats some self confidence ( i hope i get there someday). I personally would take the rescue/ dm/ guide anyday and risk the chance of him being a jerk, after all i still can take care of myself ( and others) worst comes to worst.

r.

Back
Top Bottom