DM not helping students

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is very important that your father be able to complete the skill. It is a standard, so if one can not complete it, one should NOT be issued a certification. That said, the RSTC standards do allow for someone to use mask, fins and snorkel to complete the swim test (NOT the survival float test though), but it must be for a distance of 300 yards instead of 200 yards. Some find that way more comfortable and less fatiguing. I know some Instructors that will allow mask, fins and snorkel, and some that won't. I think many just don't know it's in the standards. As well, there is nothing in the standards that says the swim test must be completed before other in-water training, it's just the way it's usually done. Again, I know some Instructors that will allow skills to be completed out of the general order, and some that won't... often, the training agency dictates this.

If you can't swim 200 m back to the boat without risking a heart attack you have no business diving, find something else to do that does not endanger yourself and others.

I bought my father his open water class for fathers day. He is 54 years old. He went to the first day of class and they did the swim and the float. The DM told my father he had to swim non-stop for the preliminary swim. He did not pass because he was tired. Is there something wrong with them sending him home and not trying to work with him. They told him he needs to practice then come back, like he will get his swim stamina up in 1 week. Honestly home much freestyle swimming do you do underwater. Hell he tought me how to swim and snorkel he is just older with a body the military beat up. Fatigue ended his day, but he has the mechanics. Wrong for being upset?

Antagonist, I think I fixed your post for you . . ..

Was your father aware that he could do many different strokes, like the back-stroke? Did he attempt other swimming styles? I, too, have a body the military beat up, but you still need to be fit enough to do the swim.

If your dad hit the pool, it is possible he could work out the kinks and styles enough to 'win'. It's hard to face that Dad is getting old, but perhaps right now he needs your encouragement to work out and tackle this again.

He attempted the test again today and passed it.

As I expected, he just had a bad night/day. As the instructor gains more experience, he should learn patience and have more empathy for their students. Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I had to go through this "journey" myself over the last 30 years or so and learned to understand and communicate better with my students. At the beginning of my instructor career, if a student didn't pass the extensive watermanship skills on the first try on the first night of class, I'd have kicked his ass out of class. Now, I try to understand why he didn't and then make the appropriate decision.

I am glad that he is doing OK now and wish you and him all success. It will be wonderful when you finally are diving as buddies!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom