DM PADI swim test Friday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck, that's the one part of DM that I'm dreading.

Good luck! Mix up your strokes if you can to rest your muscles. It won't be too bad. If an old lady like me can do it you guys can!

Please do not attempt to do these all in 1 day. I just did them for my DM and spread them out over 3-4 pool sessions. Good luck.
RichH

Piece of cake. I'm old, fat and have bad knees and I did it...you can to! Who are you training with?

You'll be fine. Heck I always joke that I can't swim and I passed just fine. It's true I can't do freestyle without looking like a drowning cat but you have your choice of strokes. Just mix it up so you don't get fatigued. I recall that I used a lot of sidestroke, and some beginner backstroke to rest. The finned swim should be a cake walk. Treading water..piece of cake for anyone able to relax in the water.
Let us know you passed so we can all congratulate you.

I always advise to make sure your swim mechanics are reasonably tuned up for the 400 meter unless you just plan to get a "1" on that. And if you are a serious "sinker" use drown proofing to get through the 2 minutes hands out on the float. Good luck.

What do you mean all?
We weren't given a choice of what we got to do in one day. We got the "opportunity" to test on the 400 meter swim, the search and rescue stuff, tread water, I can't remember what else but it was a kick butt day.
Pulling my 225 pound buddy all the way out of the water after rescuing him from the bottom, and doing the swim test, now that was a feat. I'm 5'1" and a lot older than him. He does triathalons and is 6'4". I think the idea was to have us tired before doing the rescue in order to create added stress, since we don't have waves, surge or currents in our lake to contend with.
I sure enjoyed sitting on the bottom watching the crawdads clean out their little houses as I put pebbles in them. Best of times, at least when you're tired, lol!

I always advise to make sure your swim mechanics are reasonably tuned up for the 400 meter unless you just plan to get a "1" on that. . . .

No S**T Sherlock. . . 6:30 for 400 meters is a 1:37 / 100 m pace. Unless you're comfortable with flip turns, you're not likely to get there. . .

I had them drop me off 400m from the shore (GPS) right before breakfast. It is amazing how good you will do when you are hungry and have no option but make it or drown. Its a real motivator. :)

I finished in the 8 - 10 min category (which gives you a three) and did much better on the rest of the exercises. Don't worry though, if you get less than a 3 on one you can always make it up with the others. At the end it is the combined score that counts.

Back
Top Bottom