Dm5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand your intention but unfortunately it is not possible to change the DB location.
I call BS. DM3 could. DivingLog can. Any well-behaved program will let you specify the location of your data file.

The log files a pretty small though and should not take up much space
That's not the main issue. Forcing a specific location of a program's data comes with a bunch of issues. Cloud storage, e.g. Dropbox? No can do. Nonstandard document location (e.g. programs on C:, data on D: )? No can do. Personalized backup scripts? A pain in the nether regions.

I'm quite satisfied with my Suunto. My backup computer is also a Suunto. Other familiy members use Suuntos. When I bought my first Suunto, I downloaded DM4, installed it, discovered it didn't allow local proper (i.e. local) data storage and required Movescount login, and promptly uninstalled it. Fortunately, I was able to dig up a DM3 installation file, but my main electronic logging is on Divinglog, not Suunto's own software. Pretty ironic, isn't it? My only reason for still using DM3 is that bookmarks don't transfer to Divinglog.

Hello Hendrick,
I have tried your "fix" with the result that DM5 does not work at all. I keep getting a message that the program has stopped working. I am running Windows 8.1 and I would send you more information, but I can't get the blasted program to open at all. How can I get the program to just work so I can retrieve my data?

Hello,,

I have just purchased a new Suunto D4I and installed the DM5 software opened it a promt came up that it was configuring the Mono framework and will not move forward. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Hello,,

I have just purchased a new Suunto D4I and installed the DM5 software opened it a promt came up that it was configuring the Mono framework and will not move forward. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Tried to install it today on a MacBook Pro. Looks like several users have this problem. Just received my EON Steel and can't configure it!!! Frustrating..

Hello,,

Thanks

Could you tell me which system you are using and if this was a fresh install (= no DM4 prior to that)? If there is a chance to get a screenshot, I'd appreciate it...

br, Hendrik

I have Macbook air, running OS 10.9.5. Today I reinstalled DM5 on my mac. If I connect my D6i via USB, the DM5 software does not recognize my D6i. On the D6i, the screen shows, <transferring files>, but on the laptop, no files are downloaded. Using mono, the D6i is not shown on the software. DM4 software has similar issues. I have been remiss in downloading files, so I have about 100 dives ready to transfer. Can someone PM me, so I can get a copy of a DM3 install. I seem to remember a joke about hardware companies trying to design software...

Hi,
the mono framework issue on OS X Yosemite should be fixed with the latest release... please inform me should encounter any problems!

br, Hendrik

Hi,
the mono framework issue on OS X Yosemite should be fixed with the latest release... please inform me should encounter any problems!

br, Hendrik
I thought that maybe this fix would work. Downloaded new version and get "Suunto DM5 has stopped working", which s false because it never did work properly! Seriously, what does it take to get a dive logging and planning program that will actually work?

Hi,

br, Hendrik

Suunto ought to be ashamed for using mono for a product like this.

To those who don't know, mono is an open source .net work alike layer for non Microsoft operating systems. It lets them design a windows program using a .net language such as c# and deliver it on the Mac without recoding the UI layer. The advantage is they get to code once and it 'should just work' on the Mac. Of course no silver bullet ever delivers and you get a host of stupid small bugs, annoying almost works behaviours and issues with versioning. For a while I could not move the cursor in DM4 when adding notes to a dive, I had to type the entire entry in one go without any mistakes. This is a feature of the 'toolkit' level where UI controls are implemented. Quality stuff.

The DMn software is almost good. It has a bunch of useful logging and planning features but is let down by poor implementation and very poor QA.

Unfortunately users have no choice. To plan a dive using a Suunto you need to use this software.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom