DMs behaving badly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladimir:
By snapping pictures we encourage the behavior. I just swim on by when I see this sort of thing.

I agree....

vladimir:
By snapping pictures we encourage the behavior. I just swim on by when I see this sort of thing.

I think what she means is that she takes pictures of the octopi, not DMs or divers handling them.

ScubaTexan:
I think what she means is that she takes pictures of the octopi, not DMs or divers handling them.
I was commenting in general, not referring to Justleesa's post.

As Lisa said many people eat Octopuses. Are you guys all vegetarians? :)

I wish I could stand back with the rest of you and say I've NEVER EVER touched anything down below the surface. I think there's a clear line between touching and molesting.
It's not uncommon to see me gently slide up to one of our many Loggerhead turtle and look for their sex (tail verses no tail). I document it for no one but myself so I can compare it to next years mating season. I have also been known to touch a large Southern sting ray as he passed close by looking for food. I've fanned a scorpion fish to make him move in order to show new divers how to spot them and how to be aware of the hazard. Also, during lobster season, I can assure everyone I'll be doing a whole lot more than looking at those taste little morsels. I certainly don't consider any of that wrong.
I agree, that the photo with the shark is a bit much, was the DM just mucking around or did he have a purpose for handling the shark? I've actually seen a diver catch a fish with line wrapped around it to free it. Down at Phil Foster's Park there was a large French Angel fish that was speared in the side. I watched that guy slowly get worse as the days went on but couldn't catch him. On a night dive a year or so ago, a guy actually caught the fish and pulled the spear head out of him. Ya know, that damn fish lived. I saw him on several dives months afterwards. Where does one draw the line?
So before we cast to much judgement here folks, why don't we get an explanation from the photographers. If they are so appalled, why did they take the picture in the first place? I'm in no way saying it's ok to touch anything but yourself while diving, however,there's always exceptions to everything.

Al Mialkovsky:
As Lisa said many people eat Octopuses. Are you guys all vegetarians? :)
Do you think that other DM ate the nurse shark he was harrassing?

vladimir:

:laughing: not sure exactly why, but that actually made me bust out laughing....

good Lord I needed that, it's been a long day :D

vladimir:
How would I know? Many of you are expressing some harsh opinions here based on those photos, I choose not to.

I addressed the octopus didn't I? :)

Oh by the way, are you certain he was harrassing the shark? Would you stake your life on that "fact"? It looks bad but I wasn't there and have no idea.

I've seen photos of birds soaked in oil being held by, gasp, humans. Why how dare those humans trap those innocent birds and dip them in oil. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom