Do Dive Shops/Boat Operators ever Count Solo Dives as Logged Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark_J:
I can't even remember the last time I logged a dive on paper. It's the age of information technology, computers, dive managers and laptops are much more efficient means to keep accurate records of dives.
Since my computer dont log things i see and find, gear I wear and people I dive with, Ive found that some good old fashion notes is still nice to have.
That is of course merely personal preference. Dive logs are basically for me to keep track of what I might wanna know later and theres not much point in writing fake entries anyways.. Itll just be fooling myself.

I log ALL my dives except pool stuff....most are not signed.

Same as above.

the K

Whats Kracken da kracken.... I know, thats was a tard move plus this thread is 3 yrs old +.

Sometimes I like to post just to bring back the dead!!!! Good day then

i find that getting someone to sign my log book damages the screen:D:wink:

seriously though i log every dive, not on paper, but downloaded from my computer to my laptop and then cross referenced to my (very comprehensive) database.

i have a plastic card issued by BSAC which states my qualification and if a skipper doesn't like that he's got a problem!

i was once told that 'you don't need to log dives after you have done 60' i have stopped laughing - honestly i promise, well almost:wink:

has anyone else heard of instructors logging each buddy as a dive? i questioned how someone who had been giving a lecture could have held down a full time job & logged 1500 dives in 2 years. i was told she was an instructor & every buddy she dived with constituted a dive - cobblers i thought what other b******* is she talking?

Nobody has ever made an issue of the fact that only about a third of my logged dives have signatures. I only bother with signatures when it's convenient. Come to think of it, I've only been asked to show my book once that I can recall.

How does one prove/validate a solo dive? No buddy sig.
(Maybe a pic of one's dive computer screen?) I have a Mac and can't print out dives...

Do shops EVER count solo dives (on the word of the diver) towards dive counts for DM/Instructors, shop "prizes", whatever?

First, I do not see what difference you having a Mac would make; do you really think every other Mac owner can't print out dives? Perhaps you just need help with that...

Second, I was required to show log books for my Instructor Training. When I started communicating with the Course Director I told him I had less than 20 logged dives, after certification, but more than a hundred dives before certification and no log book. I was told to log 'em.

Any decent DM or Instructor program will "out" your skills if you suck, because you won't be able to cut it. If you lie and can still pass a decent DM or Instructor course, you won't be the worst DM or Instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom