Do Dive Shops/Boat Operators ever Count Solo Dives as Logged Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How does one prove/validate a solo dive? No buddy sig.
(Maybe a pic of one's dive computer screen?) I have a Mac and can't print out dives...

Do shops EVER count solo dives (on the word of the diver) towards dive counts for DM/Instructors, shop "prizes", whatever?

Do any boat operators consider them offical logged dives?

I know that rarely are log books asked for on charter boats
but for those that do-are diver claimed and logged solo dives count with them?

Does anyone know if having an agency's solo diver card makes any difference? (Sigh) don't really want to have to
get another card unless it would make some real difference
in enough circumstances to be worth getting one.

I've got about 10 solo dives logged so far.

Thanks.

jim T.:
How does one prove/validate a solo dive? No buddy sig.
From the fact I hear people going on and on about buddy signatures, I'm going to conclude that *someone* tells new divers that they need them. I can say quite assuredly, however, that I have found not one mention of buddy signatures in the NAUI materials (including everything from Scuba Diver, the first class, through Master Scuba Diver, which is more thorough academically than some agencies' early professional levels).

I have seen referral SSI divers on checkout dives with my shop who have been passing logbooks back and forth for buddy signatures, so perhaps SSI teaches it. (Perhaps PADI or others do, too, but their logbooks must not stand out as much as the SSI ones, which I notice.)

jim T.:
Do shops EVER count solo dives (on the word of the diver) towards dive counts for DM/Instructors, shop "prizes", whatever?

Do any boat operators consider them offical logged dives?
Of all the places I've been, I've not yet had the displeasure of finding anyone who *doesn't* take me at my word. Of course, there's some dive-six-sites-to-enter drawing going on this summer, or something like that, and they only count logs stamped by their commercial partners or verified by a divemaster, regardless of how many people you dive with.

Of course, just in case I ever run into a boneheaded boat or something, all my solo dives are signed by my buddy, who just so happens to me my imaginary friend. He was certified at the same time I was, but he doesn't quite have as many dives as I do. Unfortunately, he doesn't bother with a phone, but you can email him for verification and he'll reply when he gets it. :D

jim T.:
I know that rarely are log books asked for on charter boats
but for those that do-are diver claimed and logged solo dives count with them?
I don't see what difference it makes to a dive if one unknown person claims it or apparently two unknown people claim it.

jim T.:
Does anyone know if having an agency's solo diver card makes any difference? (Sigh) don't really want to have to
get another card unless it would make some real difference
in enough circumstances to be worth getting one.
I've heard rumor that there exists at least one site that actually cares about the SDI solo card. For the life of me, I can't remember where it may have been. Those sites I've been to that don't allow solo simply don't allow solo. The rest don't care about a collector's edition cert.

I'm (still) waiting for my LDS to start a DM class. When I expressed interest, they merely asked how many dives I had. I told them the number and rattled off a list of some of the interesting sites. They didn't start an audit or anything; they just kinda shook their heads and commented that I must be crazy to dive all that dark, cold water (and that they'd keep the Carribean, thank you kindly).

There simply isn't any way for anyone to verify your dives other than for them to have had their witness diving with you. The most they can do is talk about your experience and ask questions about your logged dives (if you say you've been to Alabama Blue Water and you don't know about a sailboat, expect to be thrown out on your neoprene-covered bottom, for instance).

Basically, though, the more you dive, solo or buddied, the more experience you gain and (hopefully) the more you learn. That experience should be *plainly* obvious when any experienced diver is talking to you. I'm nowhere as experienced as many divers I know, but even I can spot dangerously green divers with no perceivable effort on my part.

I faithfully log all my dives. I don't get them signed. It's a non-issue.

Agree with Walter. We like to see a log book, but trust the divers not to lie about when their last dive was :wink:

Logbooks are your record. There are some things you have to log, at least in certain systems, but mostly you put in there what you want to put in there. And most I know only have ppl sign the things so they can get contact details for new friends made etc.

Lots of divers are just downloading their dive info onto computers now. This doesn't allow for a buddy to sign anywhere. A dive is a dive, whether you're with a buddy or solo. I even have solo preprinted on my logbook and circle that when I do solo dives. Also, PADI just states logged dives. They don't specify that a signature is needed.

The only dives in my log book thats actually signed is my OW class dives.. No other dives are signed, solo or not, including my AOW course dives..
So if some random dude decide to only count my logged dives I only 6 dives :p

Thanks everyone. Yes, SSI does teach you to ask for/get buddy sigs. It's also on their preprinted logbook sheets. I was curious if other agencies required them. I also yellow highlight and circle my solo dives, so I can keep count of them and to show I'm not trying to "hide them" either!

Clay Jar. Thank you for your very detailed repsonse.

I get my book signed when I'm able to. Sometimes on baot dives with insta buddies it's difficult to do a log book on the way back in. Entries and sigs look like chicken scratch(no offense to any chickens, want to be politically correct here). Then when the boat docks everyone is getting off, rinsing gear ,etc. Also I've gone back and had people sign my log from before when getting out of the lake in a storm precluded sitting down and chatting. Get the stuff in the car and go. My solo dives I simply write solo on the buddy sig line. I've not been asked for my log yet except when I did my DM and then it was a non issue because many of the dives I had done were with my instructor as my buddy or on trips or outings where he was present. He knew I had enough to qualify. I keep a detailed log and don't download my dives anymore. Too much of a PIA.

I have about 20 dives in my logbook actually signed...I have never been asked to show my log book anyway so I dont even bother logging anymore...I know I should tho...so many people and places are fading from my memory

I can't even remember the last time I logged a dive on paper. It's the age of information technology, computers, dive managers and laptops are much more efficient means to keep accurate records of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom