Do I need DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try coughing up the $50,000 for a 150 mile chopper flight. Yep, that's right 50G. Been there. DAN to the rescue.

I just looked up what my Blue Cross insurance covers. Maximum payment of $1000 for ground transport and $5000 for air. Hyperbaric treatment is apparently covered. The facility would undoubtedly be out of network at 40% coinsurance after blowing through the deductible.

I'll keep DAN renewed.

I claim there are 2 different questions:
- do I need insurance?
- if so, who should I buy it from?

I believe I need insurance. Travel and medical. We travel a lot, not just for scuba. So I buy a product that meets my needs.

DAN? Nope. We purchase an annual travel medical product that covers much more than DAN. It also costs more....

DAN is also more than just an insurance company. They are involved in fantastic research for the dive community and do a lot of work educating medical professionals and working to keep chambers open. As a side benefit, their magazine is by far the best scuba magazine out there.

Since all my diving is done (or will be done) 50 miles from home, DAN will cover it.
Are you saying DAN has an exclusion for dive accidents within 50 miles of home? I have not seen that clause, and it would be a deal breaker for me.

In fact, we used to carry DiveAssure but their lack of coverage of local diving is why we switched to DAN.

Are you saying DAN has an exclusion for dive accidents within 50 miles of home? I have not seen that clause, and it would be a deal breaker for me.

In fact, we used to carry DiveAssure but their lack of coverage of local diving is why we switched to DAN.

It's specific to the TravelAssist portion of coverage.

DAN comes out to what $12/month? With the amount of coverage they offer, I think I'm willing to take on that expense. That's about the same of taking your lunch to work once a month instead of eating out

DAN comes out to what $12/month? With the amount of coverage they offer, I think I'm willing to take on that expense. That's about the same of taking your lunch to work once a month instead of eating out
OK it is cheap. Does it provide the coverage you need?

I claim there are 2 different questions:
- do I need insurance?
- if so, who should I buy it from?

I believe I need insurance. Travel and medical. We travel a lot, not just for scuba. So I buy a product that meets my needs.

DAN? Nope. We purchase an annual travel medical product that covers much more than DAN. It also costs more....

Where did you get your travel medical plan?

I use a blue cross product that is specific to eastern Canada.

Insurance in NA is regulated at a state / province level. So products differ across the country. Even if the same name is used, coverage may (will) be different.

Read the fine print.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom