Do I really need a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apollon

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A while back I lost my Suunto Vyper wrist computer while attempting to gear up off a kayak. I fumbed it as my buddy inadvertently overturned my kayak while I was trying to put stuff on in the water.
Anyway, I haven't replaced it because I don't have the money right now. I went back to tables instead. I actually like using the tables. I've gotten to the point where I have memorized a lot of the bottom times at different depths. Most of the diving I do is single tank, 60 to 80 feet max. A lot of the dives are shore dives and so there is most times a gradual decent and accent as we follow the ocean floor out and back in. On the deeper dives or open ocean diving off boats I always do a series of stops starting at 30 to 50 feet depending on what the max depth was.

Has anyone here given up the computer for one reason or another and just gone back to doing the math in the head?

For myself, I really don't miss it, but it was one of the things they told us we absolutely had to have.

If you are willing to accept square profile dives then the tables are just fine. I put off buying a computer for a long time and although I have one, I haven't used it. I have been loaning it to another diver.

I don't think you should memorize the table. One mistake can be costly. Pilots use checklists to fly airplanes and they could certainly have memorized the procedures. But they use the checklist every single time.

I write the NDL or ANDL for each depth on my slate before starting the dive. I can look at my depth gauge and timer to determine when I need to ascend. Of course, my SPG comes into play as well.

I just couldn't find a decent timer & depth gauge. I used to have a Seiko watch that had that functionality. When I looked around for a bottom timer, they cost as much as a computer. My Dive Rite Nitek Duo has a gauge mode when it provides depth, time and temperature only. I may use it in that mode. It's all I need.

Now, given Nitrox and O2 accumulation, perhaps the additional complexity suggests that a computer be used. Also, bottom time is extended and we might as well take advantage of multilevel diving. In this case, the computer will work quite well.

Richard

Hi Apollon,
Diving computer is a convenience. There is nothing wrong with using tables as long as you use it properly, dive conservatively, have a timing device, SPG, depth gauge. PADI wheel is a disappearing item, but if you are comfortable using it, it is an option too. Other option would be E-RDP which is much cheaper then any computer. I would suggest to plan you dive and write it down on a slate. Relaying on the memorized numbers might not be the best idea in diving (remember that part of OW class about the nitrogen narcosis?).
So be safe. Plan your dive and dive your plan.

I write my post before I saw the one from rstofer, so I am repeating some of the things he said.

Divers dove for many years without computers. While many divers have a good recollection of the tables and can even approximate pressure groups for various profiles, I think it is foolish to rely on memory.

No, you do not need a computer. I' am planning to stop using mine excepted for deep water dives or dives with extra tasks but for recreational less then 60ft I'll use a slate and DCIEM tables

I'm going to say yes. Being a fairly new diver (like myself) the extra no-brain-required element can come in handy in a tough situation when you may be extra stressed, task loaded or otherwise unable to think/act quickly.

Case in point: I dove with a new buddy who had more training and experience than me (although it was ALL warm water experience, and we were diving cold) and I ended up chasing her down to 115ft (I was only OW certified at the time) and towing her by the tank valve all the way to the surface after she panicked. If I hadn't had my computer I'm SURE I would have exceeded the proper ascent rate. If she had tumbled deeper before I could catch her, I would have had no clue what to do as far as deco stops or extended safety stops.

The computer provides an extra element of safety and can help out if you run into unexpected troubles.

I wouldn't want to dive without one.
Just my $0.02

I'm going to say yes. Being a fairly new diver (like myself) the extra no-brain-required element can come in handy in a tough situation when you may be extra stressed, task loaded or otherwise unable to think/act quickly.

Case in point: I dove with a new buddy who had more training and experience than me (although it was ALL warm water experience, and we were diving cold) and I ended up chasing her down to 115ft (I was only OW certified at the time) and towing her by the tank valve all the way to the surface after she panicked. If I hadn't had my computer I'm SURE I would have exceeded the proper ascent rate. If she had tumbled deeper before I could catch her, I would have had no clue what to do as far as deco stops or extended safety stops.

The computer provides an extra element of safety and can help out if you run into unexpected troubles.

I wouldn't want to dive without one.
Just my $0.02

I'm glad that your experience ended much better than it could have. That being said I've seen a diver "followed" by recently certified OW students because that diver had a computer and they didn't. Whether you have a computer or not you should have a basic plan of the dive you'll be doing agreed upon by you and your buddy, even an instabuddy.

A large part of my training has had to do with what if scenarios - what if you get entangled and overstay the NDL by 2 minutes, by 5 minutes, etc. If divers don't have a basic understanding of the problems they might encounter, and how they'll be dealt with, then the chances of a minor incident turning into a serious accident are higher. Your computer's not going to tell you what to do if your separated from your buddy, boat, etc, it's not going to tell you what to do if your buddy is narced out of their wits, nor what to do if your regulator free-flows. It's especially not going to tell you what to do if it fails in the middle of a dive.

Has anyone here given up the computer for one reason or another and just gone back to doing the math in the head?

For myself, I really don't miss it, but it was one of the things they told us we absolutely had to have.

I don't use a computer, and I'm surprised you were told it was absolutely needed.

for me I like diving the computer due to my lack of attention to detail.LOL I hate messing with numbers and such, so a computer is one kewl gadget in my book. now dont get me wrong I dont push no limits or my training level beyond what it is.
But when Im diving I kinda start thinking things like HOLY CRAP thats cool and wonder whats I can find over here and just really enjoy the dive.There inlies my lack of attention, we all look at watches so the practice is pretty much second nature,and it is very easy to just check the time like I normally would at work.
Plus when I come home I can stick this wire on it and download my dive and have it logged printed filed and done, these cool gadgets make diving for me what I intended on getting out of it relaxing and enjoying the scenery.
not a bad idea for sure to use the tables from time to time jest to keep in tune with the basics.
Just my thoughts on it this early.LOL
Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom