Do sea sickness pills work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually take a tablet about 1 1/2 hours before the boat actually leaves the harbor and I'm fine for the dive. It does give me a dry "cottony" mouth and you definitely have to drink more liquids.

I also fall asleep in the afternoons after a dive, but I thought it had more to do with the effects of the dive/off-gassing. Maybe it's a combination.

RE: "... and I suggest not drinking after your dive if you take it."

Given the instructions for use of Bonine*, such wording could be considered lax.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

*The package insert for Bonine cautions: "Alcohol, sedatives and tranquilizers may increase the drowsiness effect. Avoid alcoholic beverages while taking this product. Do not take this product if you are taking sedatives, tranquilizers without first consulting with your doctor."

I've had very good results with Bonine, and also Kwellz (Quells?), an Australian product. Dramamine (both) is less effective in my experience. YMMV.

On liveaboards, I take a Bonine the night before departure and on successive nights repeat a couple hours before going to bed.

On dayboats, I take one 30 minutes before boarding.

Yes, "Quells" is the product for mal de mer.

Don't want to confuse it with "Kwell," a product for the treatment of pubic lice, among other areas.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I suffer from terrible motion sickness. I get sick from just about any type of motions, especially helicopters and boats. I have tried meclizine, Bonine, and Dramamine and found that Bonine was the only one that worked for me, but did not get rid of my sea sickness totally. I just got used to getting sick instead.

My question is does sea sickness ever go away, or even motion sickness in general? I might be riding in helicopters more often than I would like in the near future, and taking drugs everytime is just not practical.

I usually take Vomitus. If I am feeling really good and notice everyone else is feeding the fish, I feel pretty guilty about it. Besides, in DIR, we are a team and have to be sick together... One Vomitus (TM), and I am feeling like $hit along with everyone else and fitting in better too.

Oh...wait...you guys are talking about PREVENTING seasickness...I get it now. Sorry..

Kwellz (Quells?), an Australian product
Make sure and read the label here...you have to drink a couple BAR worth of Foster's with it or it doesn't work.

Don't want to confuse it with "Kwell," a product for the treatment of pubic lice, among other areas.
I thought the native treatment for this was just to immerse the infected region in Foster's? Learn something every day around here...

bengiddins once bubbled...
Bonine knocks me out cold in the afternoons when I take it - I've fallen asleep on boats before and missed the last dive! Draminine non-drowsy doesn't have this effect on me, so now I stick to the little pink pills and am a happy camper :)

I think its in your head. The active ingrediant in both Bonine and Dramamine II (non-drowsy) is Meclizine otherwise known as Antivert. They would physiologically have the same effect on you. Triptone and Dramamine Original also contain the same ingrediant (dimenhydrinate).

For my money, I just go to Target and pick up generic meclizine (Target brand). I get about 24 pills for the cost of 6 Bonine.

Thomas

I think I will go for a land-based holiday again, but do a few day trips.

Hopefully I can get a better picture of how prone I am to sea sickness and also if any of the remedies suggested works, before committing to a whole week on the sea.

Thanks anyway.

DocVikingo wrote

Definitely not! :D

Is Quells a unique product, or merely a different brand name for one of the others mentioned in this thread?

O-ring wrote...

I thought the native treatment for this was just to immerse the infected region in Foster's?
No, I believe Ockers have a saying reminiscent of our "hair of the dog"....

"wool of the sheep...."

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom