Do solo dives count?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same here, nice post Jim.:clapping:
To add my $0.02
Interesting topic. I have logged only my first 51 dives in the log book I got when I did my OW course. All other dives are print outs prom my computer(s). Each dive is a page with a dive #, profile graph, location, gas used, length of a dive....you got an idea. I had over 200 dives when I did my DM course and more before IDC. I put in the notes section buddies name or solo. Never had a problem with it with an instructor or a course director. We all know, that you could forge a more important documents then a log book. There are people who cheat on a golf score cards and people who inflate their log book. If I'm going to certify somebody, I will take quick look at their log book and yes, they have to have a certain # of dives as required, but main and only thing for me is how able they're to perform all required skills, how competent they are in the water. I'll do everything to help them to be safe, skilled and confident diver. But if they don't perform at the level of particular course, nobody could force me to certify them. Now I am of the topic, so to answer the question: Yes, I would count solo dives and I never heard from PADI that I shouldn't.

Interesting question... and my answer would be yes... but then I teach for the agency that has a Solo Diving specialty in its sport diving curriculum.

But when I'm looking at the number of logged dives an instructor candidate has logged, I'm looking for more than numbers... dives that have been "a challenge" are more an indication of worthwhile experience than sheer volume.

An IDC is way more fun working with people who have had things go pear-shaped at depth than with someone who has logged a couple of hundred dives at their local quarry. Real issues win hands down over simulated ones... every time!

Arizona:
I would count dives logged without a buddy name or signature, but solo stands out as something to be cautious about, for the beginning diver in particular.

Looking at my log, the only way you can tell I dived solo is the lack of a named buddy.

I will reconsider and look even closer for now on :) It seems I may be in the minority but for reasons stated earlier it seems the right course to follow. It has been a non issue thus far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom