Do solo dives count?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but I am looking for the actual Agency/(ies) response.
Does anyone from PADI corporate actually post on here? I've never seen them. I've seen lots of people asking them questions and only getting responses from other SB mere mortals though.

You guys go argue somewhere else.
I thought we were just discussing...

PS. ND, your "death of a salesman" reference did not go unnoticed
Glad it wasn't wasted :)

Nude Diver think of the liability if PADI were to endorse solo dives.
Acknowledgement of reality (rather than ignoring it) is hardly an endorsement. I fail to see the link between allowing ALL of someone's legitimately logged dives to "count" toward whatever, and PADI somehow being liable in the case of a dive accident involving someone diving solo, in spite of numerous PADI training materials indicating one should avoid this activity. Establishing any kind of proximate cause of one to the other seems like it would be rather difficult, even for the mindless juries of America.

Back to the question...on a more practical note, is this really even an issue? The required "dive count" for PADI's MD and DM is so low to begin with... to start DM training, you only need a miniscule 20 dives. There is 4 for OW, 5 for ADV and 4 for RD - That's 13 of the 20 right there. Are there really any solo divers with such a low dive count among us?

To purchase a PADI "Master Diver" card - you need 50 dives. While it's possible, I guess, that there may be SOME solo divers with such a low count, I don't think the number of such people is likely to be that many.

So, overall, while Dale raises an interesting question, and I'd like to hear the PADI corporate answer for it, I doubt we will and it seems like a moot question anyway.

For those that have never done a PADI course, what is the 'safe diver agreement'?

The Safe Diver Agreement is an agreement all PADI divers are supposed to adhere to. It includes the buddy system amongst other sensible things such as using tables and staying within training limits.

I think there is a clear liability issue as solo dives clearly conflict with PADI's Safe Diver Standards. Perhaps a PADI Official or Course Director can comment. Would they accept solo dives in a logbook when certifying a DM? I don't think so.

Arizona

Would they accept solo dives in a logbook when certifying a DM? I don't think so.
See my previous math post for why this probably doesn't matter in terms of dive count. However, you subtly allude to another point. Even if a guy has 5000 "buddy" dives and more than meets the dive count requirements to begin and complete DM training - suppose he has another 1000 solo dives. Clearly then, by the logic being presented concerning "endorsing" solo diving, this fine DM candidate has been violating PADI's "safe diver" rules and could never be trusted with students and should be disqualified from PADI DM training.....

I can't speak for any agency but I would accept them and if I'm teaching the course then its my opinion that matters.

See my previous math post for why this probably doesn't matter in terms of dive count. However, you subtly allude to another point. Even if a guy has 5000 "buddy" dives and more than meets the dive count requirements to begin and complete DM training - suppose he has another 1000 solo dives. Clearly then, by the logic being presented concerning "endorsing" solo diving, this fine DM candidate has been violating PADI's "safe diver" rules and could never be trusted with students and should be disqualified from PADI DM training.....

As a PADI instructor, the way I read the standards I would not accept solo dives for a DMT or any logbook credit. It seems to be a complete violation of PADI standards.

I would not be comfortable certifying such a diver under these circumstances.

Arizona

Thanks AZ for your informed imput. Hopefully there is a definative answer.

ND, I'm not interested in opinion - I looking for Agency(ies) policy. That is why I posted in this forum. Unless you're a Rep. or instructor...
Specifically, I want to know if I walk in for a (dive prerequisite) course with a mix of buddy and solo logged dives will I have to weed the solo's out?
Thanks,
Dale.

Sounds like my log is useless as it contains solo dives and buddy dives without signature, numbers or even their handwriting.
I also seem to only log every second or third dive... which makes my 'dive count' low i suppose. I only keep a log for my own interest, so i only seem to log dives i found interesting at the time.

DaleC, you might be best to ask direct:

PADI: Get Advice from a Scuba Diving Expert

SSI: SSI Scuba Schools International: Contact SSI

TDI/SDI: International Training :: Home :: Contact SDI / TDI / ERDI

NAUI: NAUI Worldwide Contact Us

etc.

FWIW, I did SSI AOW which requires 24 logged dives. I never had to show evidence of these dives... Same with other courses that have dive requirements. I was asked how many dives I'd done and no other detail (i.e depth, whether I had a buddy, and so on) was asked of me. I think if it was a strict thing by the agency I would have had to provide evidence... so I am guessing it is up to the instructor. But yea, if you are looking for an official response, I'd contact the agency direct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom