Do You Approve Of Quickie Certifications?

Are Two Day Classes for OW OK?

• Always

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Never

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Depends on Student

Votes: 42 37.2%
  • Depends on Instructor

Votes: 14 12.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Along with quickie certs, of which I answered never, perhaps there could be a piggy back deal wherin you get a free funeral plot at the same time...:poison:

I belevie in quickies when the OW cert (at least PADI) is so basic. I knew all the "theory" beforehand as it is common sense and very basic physics. The skills required wasn't very hard to accomplish if you have been snorkeling and swimming for almost 20 years. The only skill that really needed practising was bouyancy control, and there wasn't much focus on that, unfortunately. But that was solved by reserving a spot on an AOW class and getting the peak performance bouyancy specialty as a part of the deal. Two hours in the water just focusing on bouyancy was really good for my boyancy skills, that should be part of the OW class if you asked me.

The sad part is that the other two people that took the OW class together with me couldn't even do a clean kick with their fins after the class. That must be the downside with quickies, but I don't know if spreading out the course over a few weeks could help them much either.

eod once bubbled...
I belevie in quickies when the OW cert (at least PADI) is so basic. I knew all the "theory" beforehand as it is common sense and very basic physics. The skills required wasn't very hard to accomplish if you have been snorkeling and swimming for almost 20 years. The only skill that really needed practising was bouyancy control, and there wasn't much focus on that, unfortunately. But that was solved by reserving a spot on an AOW class and getting the peak performance bouyancy specialty as a part of the deal. Two hours in the water just focusing on bouyancy was really good for my boyancy skills, that should be part of the OW class if you asked me.

The sad part is that the other two people that took the OW class together with me couldn't even do a clean kick with their fins after the class. That must be the downside with quickies, but I don't know if spreading out the course over a few weeks could help them much either.

Exactly. And there's no need to force the fast learners through weeks of unnecessary classes.

I think you aught to be able to take the written test, and perform the skills, and get a card if you pass.

Custer once bubbled...

I think you aught to be able to take the written test, and perform the skills, and get a card if you pass.

OR

If you were certified at a different place than where you were trained ...
then a written test and some sort of a practical exercise could be dine in half a day.

1) it would be neutral.
2) it would be easier to standardize.
3) different skilled students would pay for the amount of training they needed to pass the test.

Mmmh.. what does that remind me of ?

Drive a car anyone?

Depends on the cert. Are we talking OW, AOW, Rescue? Then no.

Or one of those silly ones. (Underwater Photographer, Naturalist) These shouldn't even be certifications.

PhotoTJ once bubbled...
Depends on the cert. Are we talking OW, AOW, Rescue? Then no.

Whynot, Teej? There's a teaching phase, and a testing phase. If you can pass the test, so be it.

Custer once bubbled...

Whynot, Teej? There's a teaching phase, and a testing phase. If you can pass the test, so be it.

Well, I just think that there is no substitute for experience.

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

Well, I just think that there is no substitute for experience.

But "Experience" is not objectively measurable anyway.

A diver might have 50 hard dives and have the natural talent to be a great divemaster, if they can pass a strict test then I say let them.

Another Diver might have 400 dives but shouldnt really be allowed in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom