Do you buy lobster tails?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Boswell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Several large supermarket chains in San Diego sell fresh lobster tails. Several times a week I pass by the displays in the seafood sections, always attractively spread out on ice. I pass them by, because to me they represent exploitation of both fisheries and fishermen. But obviously the public at large doesn't share my views.

Maybe I've seen too many U-tube movies of crippled Brazilian divers.

What do you guys think?

I think I've bought lobster tails once or twice over the past 40 years. I stopped taking my own in 1975, but willingly accept gifts from my dive buddies who do. I rarely eat more than two a year.

Are you saying that the fresh lobster tails now in stores (out of our local season) are coming from Brazil and commercial divers there are getting bent? I wasn't aware of that, so thanks for the info.

They go great with butter :D

Pass the butter please :D

But in all seriousness, I prefer to eat the whole lobster and not just the tail. That is why I am happy I am from Canada :D......'dem crushers is delish :wink:

I do not buy tropical lobster tails nor do I eat at Red Lobster (one of the largest purchasers of tropical lobster tails), but then I've been to the villages in Honduras at the urging of Bob Izdepski (read Dying for Lobster in the Utne Reader) and seen first hand what has occurred.

Most all tropical lobster tails that you see in stores come from either the Honduras/Nicaragua or Brazilian suppliers.

Is it worse than buying cheap TVs made using forced labour in China?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom