Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went diving on the 16th and for the first time did not wear my snorkel. After having done that, I'm not sure if I'll continue to not wear my snorkel. I'll try it out again this weekend.

Four hundred seventy one posts and still no agreement!
Wow!
I'm impressed...
Reckon I'll retain my snorkel options wide open - use one when I want to, and not use one when I don't.
Rick

lamont:
i try not to be a DIR nazi, but i gotta admit the dangly console does make me grind my teeth a little bit...

Fair call, its supposed to be mounted across my chest with a hose protector. Problem is the protector is now nowhere near as stiff as it was and the thing falls out. I only noticed that after looking at the photo,

have you thought about taking some of the whistles and strobes and SMBs and using some #24 nylon line and boltsnaps to secure them into bellows pockets on your drysuit legs?

Reel wont fit in drysuit pocket, its too long, wide and thick. The SMB also is too thick with the crack bottle to fit into any sensible sized pocket so thats not an option.
The fully assembled thing is not a small bit of kit.

Add that to fact drysuit pocket already contains a spare dsmb, slate, net catch bag there isnt really room. As i said, BC pockets, 1 is broken the other is near unusable underwater anyway.

Whistle and strobe location im happy with. Both attached to the inflator hose, the strobe at the top where its needed if in the water and whistle just replaced the useless one that came with the BC using the same bit of nylon to also attach to the hose. Given i only really use the inflate on the hose and rarely the dump those arent bothering me at all.

Ive fiddled with kit configuration a lot on it but short of buying a new BC havent found any method at all for carrying the reel and torch. Its not ideal as it is now but the only solution ive found.

Rick Murchison:
Reckon I'll retain my snorkel options wide open - use one when I want to, and not use one when I don't.
Rick
I believe this is the overwhelming majority opinion. A long-duration poll would probably prove this. Don't we have a few of these archived in older threads?

archman:
I believe this is the overwhelming majority opinion. A long-duration poll would probably prove this. Don't we have a few of these archived in older threads?
Probably... but why dig up old stuff when we can keep this one going? After all, only 25 posts to 500, and then we can give PilotFish some kind of award for starting the thing.
Then again... maybe not. :)
Love,
Uncle Ricky

I'm used to it, so I wear it. Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it, I figure.

I was watching the discovery channel while on the road last week and a show made me think of this thread. I'm think the safety device claims a stretch for imagination but apparantly the Air Force Rescue Jumpers (I think they go by Parajumpers, PJs or something to that affect) do not agree. The show was about their training and considered a snorkel an essential safety device. Maybe they all disagree in private but I can't really say since I don't know one.

Dearman:
I was watching the discovery channel while on the road last week and a show made me think of this thread. I'm think the safety device claims a stretch for imagination but apparantly the Air Force Rescue Jumpers (I think they go by Parajumpers, PJs or something to that affect) do not agree. The show was about their training and considered a snorkel an essential safety device. Maybe they all disagree in private but I can't really say since I don't know one.

RJ don't usually wear scuba gear, right? Don't they jump in the water, swim to the victim, etc. ? Can't think of a better example of why a snorkel is needed in this situation. However, like you I don't know of any rescue divers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom