Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikeloyco:
Still hovering at 490. Hmmmmm, maybe we can make 500?

Well I'll pitch it one forward.

I DO NOT dive with a snorkel. If I need to do a surface swim I swim on my back and as most of my dives are boat dives there's not too much worry about coming through the surf. I just find it an unnecessary piece of kit! But if you wear one that's cool.

Remember kids - diving's all about personal preference. There is no right way...well according to some folk there is...but I'M right :wink:

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

I'll add also. I don't dive with a snorkel. At best, it gets in the way. At worst, it is annoying. Maybe I will get a pocket snorkel but I don't have a pocket to put it in :wink: If I am on the surface, either waiting to descend, or waiting to get back on boat, I have my BCD inflated and can float leaning backwards. If waves are crashing over my head, a snorkel will be of no use in this situation. But like many people have said, it is a personal decision.

pilot fish:
I see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling

Well I think it depends on the type of diving your do, do I think you need one in the springs, not really. However if your diving in the ocean I think its probably smart. If you should run out of air and the waves start to get choppy you might wish you had one. Either way its a personal choice.

rstone:
However if your diving in the ocean I think its probably smart. If you should run out of air and the waves start to get choppy you might wish you had one.
Who is running out of air? If you run out of air, are you diving beyond your skill level, or not watching the gauges?

pilot fish:
How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling

Ha, I didn't even read the original posting!! This is a most "interesting" point of view...let me see if it was elaborated upon.

Far_X:
Who is running out of air? If you run out of air, are you diving beyond your skill level, or not watching the gauges?

Maybe not but I can see your point.

But just because you have a snorkel doesn't mean you won't take in water. I prefer not to have a snorkel in rough seas. That's just the way I am.

And remember - a snorkel's just a plastic tube. It isn't going to save you from drowning.

NauticalbutNice:
Maybe not but I can see your point.

But just because you have a snorkel doesn't mean you won't take in water. I prefer not to have a snorkel in rough seas. That's just the way I am.

And remember - a snorkel's just a plastic tube. It isn't going to save you from drowning.

Hey, I'm with you on this, I think. :) The only time I have a snorkel now is if I am snorkelling without a tank on my back or at the local swimming baths :wink:

Far_X:
. If waves are crashing over my head, a snorkel will be of no use in this situation.
Not with the OCEANMASTER 2000, the "most advanced snorkel in the world"!!! Ha ha, I have three of the amazing things. Only way water gets in those things is through the mouthpiece. With this AMAZING DEVICE strapped to my head, I s****** at chop, swells, and surf. Yeehaw!!

Bulky as heck for diving though, either get used to wearing it or strap it to your leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom