Do you double or single..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a DIR diver.

I dive both. The only difference between the two is the second tank, the addition of the manifold (and another first stage), and a trade-out of wings to suit the additional width of doubles. The rigging is identical. The thought is "All of what you need and nothing that you don't." Ultimately, that means that if you only need one tank, then you only take one tank - so it's very DIR to dive a single when it's all that is necessary.

That said, doubles have a variety of advantages - firstly, you have a redundant first stage. Secondly, you have more than twice the amount of usable gas available to you. Thirdly, if a diver's only doing "no-deco, recreational" diving and would otherwise be diving singles, consider this: The doubled diver brings down with him on his second dive the residual leftovers from his last tank. Remember that 500 psi that they told you to surface with? Well... He's taking that down with him on his second dive, giving him a little more to use on his second dive.

Most other DIR divers I know dive both doubles and singles, but tend to favor doubles only after a short time because it's easier to always use the same rig for all diving than it is to swap back and forth between the two. Doubles also allow for MORE than twice the usable gas, which is nice on all counts. Then there's that "leftover" like I mentioned above...

AL80's - doubled or singled - belong with wetsuits. With rare exception, you won't catch DIR divers diving anything else wet. Diving dry, most DIR guys/girls opt for steel 95's or 104's, depending on their needs and use AL80's and AL40's for their stages.

Discussing why these are the choice of DIR divers is a long thought process that I can go into another time.

Dispel the myth. DIR divers dive both singles and doubles - although they're more often seen in doubles because of the advantages that it offers them. Either is acceptable under GUE standards.

PROOF: Check out these training videos published by 5th Dimension Dive Shops, an excellent DIR source. http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/hometraining.html

Hi all you DIR diver , we tend to use double's for the deep stuff with long deco time , and single for muppet diving

I dive my double E8-130 configuration most of the time. I do this for training purposes (training for future Tech 1) but also because I have started to feel very comfortable with it.

When I occationally do beach dives, I mostly use my single E8-130 configuration. I find this easier since the waves often are "kicking" a bit...

Anders

vcobra:
I use double AL 80's most of the time, that's until I get my drysuit in May. I like the way doubles feel. I do use single tanks when I need to, but it all depends on the dive. When I get my drysuit I'll double up my other tanks too.
I use doubles all the time, sometimes 80s, sometimes 130s depending on the dive. You fight the way you train. Consistency offers certain benefits for the type of diving I do, so I keep things consistent.

Doc

P.S. Vinny, if you're back, give one of us a shout. PM sent.

Doc Intrepid:
P.S. Vinny, if you're back, give one of us a shout. PM sent.

Hey Doc,
I'm still stuck in the sandbox they call Iraq. I'll be home this summer and in the mood for lots of diving. I have to get rid of all the sand! PM sent back.

Vinny

MaxBottomtime:
I dive doubles 99% of the time.
I dive doubles only slightly more often than MaxBottomtime at about 99.37% of the time. I used to be seen on occassion diving large singles with h-valves, but found that diving doubles is much more fashionable. Double 98 steels for me.

mempilot:
I dive doubles only slightly more often than MaxBottomtime at about 99.37% of the time. I used to be seen on occassion diving large singles with h-valves, but found that diving doubles is much more fashionable. Double 98 steels for me.
My single is a 95 with an H valve. I've used it twice in the past two years.

Ditto, so I double up two of them and made a set of twins. Now I don't have to switch between dives anymore.
MaxBottomtime:
My single is a 95 with an H valve. I've used it twice in the past two years.

SeaJay:

That said, doubles have a variety of advantages - firstly, you have a redundant first stage. Secondly, you have more than twice the amount of usable gas available to you. Thirdly, if a diver's only doing "no-deco, recreational" diving and would otherwise be diving singles, consider this: The doubled diver brings down with him on his second dive the residual leftovers from his last tank. Remember that 500 psi that they told you to surface with? Well... He's taking that down with him on his second dive, giving him a little more to use on his second dive.
QUOTE]

But a reserve is a reserve is a reserve, so how can it be a "leftover" for dive #2?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom