Do you ever break the rules?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can not think of many ways to kill oneself that would be intelligent, and useful? :D

It's got a negative ring to it now, but martyrdom?

I just want to know if you can khack someone else. If not, isn't it a bit redundant to say you khack "yourself?"

God, I waded through all 10 pages on this topic, and the consensus seems to be that a rule is broken if you do a particular diving activity without having been trained in it (having a cert card in you wallet) I'm in Dr. Bill's age category (old-school diving) and I was forced to obtain two cert cards: OW - 1975 only because I had to have one to purchase gas; An instructor put my name through with one of his classes. AOW (a real wast of time and $) because I was locked out of the deep side of my favorite local dive hole, even though I've dove it many times before the rule came in; and I chose Nitrox because of my age--I want it when I'm diving 4,5,6 times a day off a liveaboard. So according to consensus here, I've broken and will break a ton of "rules":

Solo diving (although I am going to get a card because again I'm locked out of my local dive hole without it.)
Cavern & Cave (Devils eye & ear---in the days when no one was there to police you.
Wreck & wreck penetration
Tec diving (whatever that is) on air.
Deco diving
dry suit diving
Deep diving - 180'
night diving
Ice diving
Spear fishing
Search & Recovery
I have rescued a few divers in my day (did I break the rule because I wasn't trained?)
----and I'm sure there is more.

I don't have a card or was ever formally trained in any of the above, but I still do them (probably much to the shock :shocked2:eek:f you over-trained, over-certified, bulging- wallet-with-cert cards divers who may lack two important things: EXPERIENCE AND KNOWING YOUR LIMITATIONS. That's one rule I don't break---I know my limitations, admit to them, and will not go beyond them for any reason. I'm on the down slope of my diving career, and what really gripes me is that I am forced to get certified by the diving industry who has virtually brainwashed divers for the past two decades that you MUST have training and a certification card to participate or you are locked out or frowned upon as a rebel or outsider, or one who has a death wish. I've always said half humorously that one day dry suit divers will have to be certified to have and use a pee-valve on their suits I have dove with many "trained" divers who are certified up the wazoo up to "Dive Masters", yes, even instructors who could not show a level of competence that demonstrated "the cards" in their wallets.

Now I know I'm going to get blasted for this, and I fully understand why. Most of you have been raised up in a totally different atmosphere with a different philosophy of diving than I was raised. It's kind of like contrasting the difference between high school of the 50's to today's attitude and philosophy and rules in "modern" schools. A big change! So I realize you will have a very difficult time empathizing with me on this issue. Have a great Day.

God, I waded through all 10 pages on this topic, and the consensus seems to be that a rule is broken if you do a particular diving activity without having been trained in it (having a cert card in you wallet).

Oh, I think there's a huge difference between being trained to do something and having a C-card in your wallet.

I got training in drysuit diving, solo diving, and regulator repair without ever getting a C-card. In fact, although I have issued many C-cards for drysuit diving, I've never actually owned one.

For that matter, I learned more about the basics of buoyancy control, gas management and dive planning from a mentor (Uncle Pug) than I ever did by taking a class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Or, you could avoid becoming a veggie and be back on your bike in about six weeks when your broken leg has healed..
Obviously theres still things thatll kill you or make you invalid for life even if you wear a helmet though, but then again a bulletproof vest dont protect you from a nuke either..

yes, but my under ground bybunker stocked with 2 years of supplies will :)

yes, but my under ground bybunker stocked with 2 years of supplies will :)
Do you have a hazard suit down there as well so youre able to leave the area without getting contaminated and glow green during the nights? :tongue:

Do you have a hazard suit down there as well so youre able to leave the area without getting contaminated and glow green during the nights? :tongue:

yuppers, I also have my cryogenics chamber down there so if it is to bad I can freeze myself and wake up 100 years from now . . .

yuppers, I also have my cryogenics chamber down there so if it is to bad I can freeze myself and wake up 100 years from now . . .
Yes but when did you start advertising?

cryogenic.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom