Do you feel safer owning your own equipment?

do yo feel safer diving in equipment you own?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Feel safer because I know its service history and my familiarity increases my comfort in my ability to deal with issues if they DO arise. I do not let it make me feel complacent.

I'd say it's more of a process... I was very involved in understanding the choices available to me, selected my kit, assembled it, care for it... I'm fully involved and theres no magic to it. This is what I feel makes me feel safer not just because I own it or dive it a lot.

Yes for same reason I feel safer driving my car instead of e rental, I know where everything is and how it works.

Exactly. My stuff was mostly bought used and I've been diving with it since day 1 - 7+ years ago. I think that brand new rental stuff would probably actually be safer due to age of my stuff. But of course, it's more comfortable with your own stuff. Plus, like a new car that's a rental, you could just get a lemon anyway, it would be less safe, and you have to get used to a rental.

thanks to everyone who has replied and posted responses! the feedback has been great!

--c

I feel safer with my stuff because every time I go diving I do a careful run-through of all my gear. Everything gets checked out in the quiet of my house and I often jump in my pool if its been awhile and I need to make sure everything is in good working order.
my husband is very mechanical so if I have any questions he's able to help me fix almost anything, he even rebuilds our regulators. I know everything is well serviced because I know that my technician has my safety in mind and wasn't in a hurry while working on my gear. Plus, I didn't have to hurry at all while checking my gear out.
Lastly, I pack everything up and it always goes in the bag the same way. My husband has similar gear and packs his bag almost the same. When we get to a dive site ( shore diving) we unpack on a tarp the same way every time. We both put our stuff in the same spot every time (mirror image) so that we don't forget anything.
We have a similar process for boat diving.
Can't do anything like this with rental gear. I don't like getting gear last minute and being unfamiliar with it. Something important is more likely to be forgotten or non-functioning.

I said no because I have always felt "safe" in rental equipment. For me it has always been more of a comfort and familiarity thing. I like knowing every detail about how each price of equipment works and what the features are, that's hard to do with rental equipment.

The more I think about it though, having that level of knowledge and comfort with my gear contributes to safety because I am more relaxed and know exactly how to respond in an emergency. So essentially i do feel safer.

Totally safe!... I always know that I have to hold the left weight pocket in when slightly inverted, that the inflator button will stick only if I press too hard, that my BC only leaks a little bit and that my mouthpiece is easy to put back on when it separates from the regulator. Other than that, I feel pretty safe...

:wink:

Totally safe!... I always know that I have to hold the left weight pocket in when slightly inverted, that the inflator button will stick only if I press too hard, that my BC only leaks a little bit and that my mouthpiece is easy to put back on when it separates from the regulator. Other than that, I feel pretty safe...
Yeah, but imagine renting gear you dont expect to have such quirks and being surprised when they kick in :crazyeye:

Yes!!

I maintain and service my equipment according to manufactures specifications and test dive (NDL) all equipment before any tech dives. I am also very familiar with my kit and can find/adjust/remove/troubleshoot every piece of kit blindfolded and know how it will behave. You can't do that with unfamiliar kit/configurations.

Feel much safer using my own gear, if you saw some rental gear in this part of the world you would know why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom