Do you have an opinion on this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_218

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to purchase a used BCD for my son who will take the Jr OW course this spring/summer. I dive a SeaQuest Pro QD and enjoy it, so I'm thinking of getting the same for him. I think a jacket-style would be best for him so he won't have to fight a wing while on the surface.

For a young beginner diver, what are your opinions for 1st BCD:

Seaquest Pro QD(+)?
Seaquest Balance?
Oceanic Ocean Pro?
Other?

Thanks for your opinions.

Does your son have a waist? How old, how heavy, body style, fitness level, strong, medium or weak swimmer? The more info to work with the more colorful the thread! :)

Oceanic's inflator button changed ~'02 to a huge wrap around thing that small hands will likely be pressing when deflating is the intention. I recommend no Oceanic BC's after that design change, for anybody. :shakehead:

Unless a weight belt will not stay (pear shape), I do not like WI, again for anybody. I dive a Seaquest Balance for work, but I cut the WI pockets off. I dive a SeaQuest Spectrum 2 ADV (vest - no sleeves :eyebrow: ) for pleasure, non WI. All my student BC's are SeaQuest vest, non WI. The Aqua Lung Wave is the last SeaQuest design non WI vest BC.

For kids, I prefer old/used SeaQuest (AquaLung) non WI ADV (vest) BC's. :coffee:

My son is ten years old, weighs about 92 lbs, has good strength for his age and is athletic (football/wrestling). I would say he is a medium ability swimmer and has done snorkeling in the pool (mask, snorkel, fins).

I do have an opportunity to purchase a used (rental) Seaquest Pro (small) not WI from a shop at a good price. This sounds like its along the lines of what you are suggesting. I've only dove WI, so I don't have first hand knowledge of preference between the two.

Thank you for your input.

I know what you said about bpw, but just fyi from my experience...

After training and certification in a vest, I put my petit 15yo daughter in a dss stainless bp, 17lb torus. She never had a problem, wore 2 lbs weight on a belt with full 3mm in salt, great bouyancy control/trim, never a problem on the surface. She loved it - said it was like taking off a coat and putting on a bikini.

She's now a 19 yo young lady with all the associated womanly features. She's still diving the same rig with only minor adjustments in harness and weight (4lbs).

She's planning cave training. When she's ready she can buy a new wing (and appropriate a bunch of my stuff-lights, regs, reels, etc.) and carry on without having to deal with a whole new rig.

Just food for thought...

belay the above, didn't read far enough to see that you had made your decision. Have a great time diving with your son.

Last edited:
gbf,

Thanks for the advice. I haven't dove a bp/w set up yet and figured the jacket would be more comfortable to get him started. Within the next year I'll try a bp/w. If I like it I'll get a setup and let him try it, too. If he likes it we'll get one for him, then he can pass on his Sherwood to my daughter who by then will be ready to start diving.

Thanks, again.

Phillip

I know many people who dive with sea quest bcs an they are well made. The sea quest ballance is a back inflate so it may seem like its pushing him foward in the water at first but I think it would grow with his skills as he becomes a better diver. Back inflate bcs also have better in water characteristics such as naturally wanting to be horizontal in the water wich would help eliminate unballanced bouyancy. Hope this helps I started diving with a back inflate and continue to uswe the same style but in a bp/w.

I think as long as he is not feeling claustrophobic with the BC, he'll do fine with it. I guess the main thing is for him to be comfortable with the BC. That said, you may want to bring him along for a size-up when purchasing. Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom