Do you have to use a wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KevinScuba

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing near 100% of my diving in the middle of July and August in south Florida or the keys, can I get away without having a wetsuit?

I was trying on some wetsuits the other day, and to be honest, I had one heck of a time getting in and out of them. I left the LDS thinking I may not want to do this dive thing IF I have to deal with this almost impossible task. Really! These were full wetsuits. Tried just about all kinds, sizes, just was not working. I'm going back tomorrow to look at some more alternatives...

Kevin

Have you tried a shorty? You might could get by without one, it all depends on your personal preference. I'm a skinny guy, and you can almost watch my shaking as I shiver after an hour in the water in a two piece 5 mil. However, the diver next to me in the springs is wearing shorts and a tshirt and is fine. Bigger guy. Different tolerances for cold.

First couple of times you squeeze in and out of a suit are a real pain. It is long, painful, you will hate it and you will likely get very hot and bothered in the process.

It does become a lot easier with time though and you will have your own little process/method for donning and doffing a suit in no time at all. It will become a lot easier with a little bit of practise.

I have no idea about Florida diving conditions, however a full wet suit of any thickness is generally recommended to ensure you protect yourself from stings, bites, scrapes, etc. underwater. You may want to check the thickness of the suit you were trying on? I've found that thinner suits are generally easier to don and doff. Maybe you just need to try on a thinner (3mm) suit.

I mean a BC is generally a pain to put on, take off, maintain, etc. Doesn't mean you should go without one though :)

Buy a dive skin! They work to protect you from Hydroids and if you wear a wet suit it will help it slide on or off!:D

This is OT, but JahJah that is one of the funniest posts I have read on SB to date. RJP's posts are normally funny (to me) but that is a classic. He must've been in the zone when he wrote that.

Thanks for the link in your sig. I needed a good laugh today.

Would always recommend a skin for South Florida diving for protection from Fire Coral etc..... In July and August you usually do not need a wet suit unless you are really prone to getting cold. I am generally the first to get cold, and I usually take down a 3 mil and my shorty for mid summer, just in case. I usually only use my skin or my shorty at that time of year, but at least I'm prepared. If you are having trouble getting in and out of wetsuits I recommend one of the new hyperstretch/flexible wetsuits that most brands have some version of. I have a Henderson 7 ml hyperstretch that is easier to get in and out of than my 3 ml.

Go shorty, unless you want some protection, in that case grab a skin. Remember the water temperatures are going to be around 80.

Also, you must read the thread in my sig line :wink:

Also if you do get a full wetsuit, go Henderson or one of the others that are easy on and off. There is no reason these days to be fighting a suit or soaping yourself down.

sorry MD, RJP's post takes the cake for me :)

You don't NEED a wetsuit for that time of year, but you will eventually begin losing body temp, especially if you're diving two or more times a day. When I just wear just a dive skin in 82-84 degree water, I feel exhausted after the second dive. Not so much with a 3mil, but everyone's body is different.

Here's a couple of tricks for slipping in and out of a FWS.
1. Buy a dive skin. It makes slipping in and out of a FWS easy. My wife was about ready to can the idea of diving all together due to her neoprene aerobics. I handed her a lycra dive skin in the store and she couldn't believe the difference.
2. Buy a FWS made out of the super-stretchy neoprene. Look for stuff that stretches 100-250%. Even without a dive skin it is much easier to get in and out of them. They are pricier though, but you can shop for deals.
3. I always carry a bottle of baby shampoo with me in my gear bag cut to about 50% with water. If I have trouble getting the WS on while on the boat, squirt a little baby shampoo and it glides right on. You can also use it as a mask defog.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom