Do you like to find things underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64 once bubbled...
I have a new diving related hobby, and my primary dive buddy (my husband), does not share my enthusiasm.

I'm surprised to hear that there's actually a diver out there who doesn't! Have faith though... He will share your enthusiasm once he finds something for himself! That's all it takes to get hooked.

There is actually a cave here in san diego that has a set of locomotive wheels (still connected to the axle) sitting 20 feet inside! I still haven't heard of anyone who knows how they got there.

Whether its a pretty shell or a manmade item it could be treasure. I have found mask + snorkels, dive knife (brand new), weights, clothing, some sort of spearing device, golf balls, litter and even a $20 bill! Someday I hope to find that elusive piece of eight that they say are all over the place, but are rarely found.

I want a stop put to the beach golfing that seems to be going on! I mean, ever hear of a driving range?

:D

Even though I take my camera on almost every dive I always keep my eye peeled for anything out of the ordinary. I have found ammunition, a canteen and a flashlight on some of the small WWII military wrecks here.Click Here for Photos and stumbled upon a bottle that turns out to be from the Ghirardeli Chocolate Company when they were in the spice business. A bottle expert tells me it is from the 1860's
Click Here for Photo

:shades:

The older the better!

Love finding junk! Never happier than with my arms elbow-deep in the muck at the bottom of Lake Winnipesaukee!

Here are a couple of things I found. The Dr. Pepper bottle is neat, I don't know anything about it's history, though.

SCUBACrazy once bubbled...

I'm surprised to hear that there's actually a diver out there who doesn't! Have faith though... He will share your enthusiasm once he finds something for himself! That's all it takes to get hooked.

Actually, on our last Lake Michigan dive we both spotted a rolled up piece of paper on the bottom, as we raced to it, my husband got to it first. It was a perfectly intact label off of a Budweiser bottle. A fitting prize for him!

I love to go slow and just look for stuff. It's a habit that I got when I started doing video underwater. The slower I go, the more stuff I find. I refer to it as easter egg hunting, but treasure hunting sounds cooler. Even if it's an old clamshell or a dead sand dollar, I will always put something in my pocket for my wife who doesn't dive.

I love looking for stuff as well. Sometimes I even forget to look at the sea life. I have found weights, a Cressi Big Eyes mask, a knife, half a snorkel - the exact half my friend lost on another dive. He was able to put both pieces together and voila - he had a snorkel again. But the most interesting thing I've found is a molar. I found it in Oahu. I know it's mamalian because the molar has roots. The roots appear to be petrified so I think it's gotta be really a old molar. I really think it's a human molar.

:dance:

I love poking around in the sand, too. AMong my "treasures" are the brass fitting from a fire hose, a brass latern holder, a pewter fork and spoon and a gold pocket watch. I'll see if I can post a picture of the pocket watch and fork/spoon in the morning. The brass stuff is still in the trophy case at Lynnhaven Dive Center up in Virginia Beach.

Back
Top Bottom